In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Defense Shotgun....Modifications???

KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have 2 quick questions...1.) The Remington Marine 870...Can a side saddle, and factory remington Top folder be installed on it? I 95% sure that it can since it was designed as a defensive shotgun but i still want to make sure....2.) The legal barrel length is 18", but what about overall length?Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have an outstanding defensive shotgun; I recommend that you leave it alone.It's difficult to control your aim with a handgrip only. Aimed fire is critical with any firearm. Even with a folding stock extended, it's still more difficult to aim and control a shotgun than with the fixed stock.Be happy with what you have; you have one of the best.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    overall lenght has too be 27",and i must agree it is much harder too hit with just a pistol grip ,keep on bangin boys ,don
  • Options
    UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree on the hard to control with just pistol grip. to shorten mine up just a little i purchased the shortest aftermrket young stock i could find, worked out great.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the regular stock...much more controllable!
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, keep the standard stock, but do add the mag extension. Best, Robert
    "Endurance"
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the 870, but I did that modification to my Mossberg 500.I got a 6 shell sidesaddle and and ATI top folding stock. THe combo WILL NOT fit together out of the box, but you can modify them a bit to do so. I got a file and ground down the edge of my sidsaddle to leave JUST ENOUGH room for the stock to lock down securely. You will be missing a screw in the top corner of the saddle, but it will still be very secure. You will need to shave about a quarter inch off the saddle's plate, then round it off for a clean look and fit.It's not hard at all if you have a metal file. I was impatient and did it with my swiss army knife. Took a long time, but came out great. You get the close range capabilities of the pistol grip with a speedy option for a stock.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nik, what brand of side saddle did you use?
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kadaver, For over ten years I tried to convince myself to buy a shotgun for home defense. Naturally, the Remington 870 was on top of the list...unfortunately, the dealer I always went to was a Benelli/HK dealer and there I bought. Even with the factory pistol grip on my Benelli, it is noticably harder to control than a stock 870, then again there are the benefits of it being semi-automatic. Im not all too famiiar with the Remington's but was told not too long ago not to mess around with the balance of a firearm especially those forward mounted lights (for semi's).-smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.