In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Starr 44 Caliber help???

rose-myke89rose-myke89 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hello,I picked a nice Starr this weekend and have a question. How can I trace to whom the pistol was issued to? I know Starr went out of business long ago. It is a military piece martially marked on both grips, double action serial number 15xxx if that helps. I know with most colts you can trace back but not sure about Starr. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I've never in over 65 years heard or seen any way to Track a Starr from the Civil War Period...Be very interested in hearing from You if You ever find out anything.....Best...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    sea50servicesea50service Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello rose-myke. No problem just log in to Springfield Research page ,list your number. No owner though, just if shipped to what Army unit. Good luck!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the s/n of the cylinder doesn't match the frame it could have been one of mine that was regretably traded off.
    They're neat pieces with a lot of gadgetry but surprisingly the soldiers didn't like them. Mine had the SA/DA feature and everything worked.
    Unfortunately, I never got to shoot it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for your imput. I went to the Springfield research page. Can find where starrs went in the 10xxx and 20xxx range but not inbetween. V35,all numbers match and yes it is a cool gun but I can see why the soldiers did not care for them as much as the colts or remingtons. Thanks again.RM
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    If You'd like some history about the Starr....That I can give You...But like I said earier...virtually Impossible to Trace Individual Pieces to any specific Soldier...and any that surface are only because its been authenticated to an idividual...There were 5,000 Starr revolving pistols contracted for by the government on November 24, 1858, and a Total of 47,952 Starr revolvers of all types purchased during the civil War...If You need Patent Dates and Amounts of Breech Loading Percussion and Breech Loading Rim Fire Carbines I can supply that as well...and Names and Locations of Plants and Owners...Sorry about not being able to help You with Your specific request......Best...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Capt. for all your help. I found the information that you are willing to provide in some of the books that I have.But thank you for offering your time and expertise. RM