In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tokarev Recoil

RF4guyRF4guy Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just bought one of the Polish Tokarev's and was told that the recoil is more than a 45. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way, I've owned a bunch of Tokarev's in the past ( Russian & Chinese ). The muzzle blast is ugly ( east bloc PPSH ammo ), the recoil isn't bad though. The difference is in the weight of the projectile.

7.62 x 25 = 87 Grains

45 ACP = 230 Grains

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree...the muzzle blast and flash is pretty scary but the less than 100 gr projectile moving even at the high rate of speed that it does gives no where near the recoil energy that a 45ACP does!! You will notice a fair amount of muzzle flip but it tends to go up, not back at you. The Russians figured a small 30 cal. projectile moving at a very high rate of speed would shoot flatter and hit hard giving good penetration but part of the theory involved not imparting nearly as much recoil energy on the shooter. They used this round (7,62x25)in a variety of submachineguns assuming the lowered recoil would also give better control under full auto fire. More than likely, this is potato/ potatoe and illustrates the difference in eastern and western theories. Have fun, I own 2 Polish Tokarevs and enjoy them both very much as they seem to be some of the better tt-33 variants ever produced (mine are both Radom arsenal guns).

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I had a Polish TT-33 myownself. I loved to shoot it, loved to look at it but I barely hit the paper at 50 feet with it. I have no use for an inaccurate pistol so I sold it to a velocity junkie.[:D]

JC

unamerican.gif

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RF4guy
    I just bought one of the Polish Tokarev's and was told that the recoil is more than a 45. Any thoughts?

With my Tokerov, I find I have to hold it differently than my .45 therwise it will hammer bite me. I do notice that it has more recoil than my .45 but it's nothing to complain about.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a Tokarev the recoil is fairly sharp, but I really don't think it is equal to or greater than a 45 relative to the actual force produced. However, from the smaller frame, lighter pistol the apparent recoil may seem about the same to certain folks.

The 7.62x25 cart. is a real "snort" ... I have a pet CZ52 that I like to occassionally take to the range and it never fails to attract attention when I let a couple go. Folks think I'm firing a much heavier caliber handgun ... As for Tokarev's I have very large hands so me and them don't get along too well because I also like to take a high grip so I get bit ... a lot, thus I don't often fire my one remaining Tokarev.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    RF4guyRF4guy Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can I tell where in Poland it was made? There's a number "11" with a circle around it on top of the slide and "1950" I had heard they were good guns and noticed that they weren't advertised in Shotgun News anymore, so I figured I'd better get one before the supply dried up.