In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15

dustebuttdustebutt Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
What do you think about buying the Olympic .223 Plinker and then buying the free floating heavy stainless barrel upper for it. Do you think that would be a good investment?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Are any Oly Arms upper receivers forged? If they are how can I tell
    Thanks guys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am currently in the market for an AR-15, potentially 2 or 3. 308, 223 & 5.56. Quality & durability are what I'm looking for, as I'd like my son & his children to be able to use them. Also which optics should I be looking for and what can I expect to pay for each?

Thanks in advance for your time...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK Guys need some opinions , Thinking of buying a AR style Rifle , Never owned one but think i might add one to the collection , Have been looking at the S&W and the Remington,also the COLT$ ,any input on the others will be greatly appreciated !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, it's time for another black rifle.
    I have a RRA 6.8 coyote and I love it.
    I would like to try an Ar in 223 cal from
    a different manufaturer.
    What are a few good ones to pick from?
    Thanks much!
    ronny
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have any of you had the chance to use the ar-15 from Cavalry Arms. They seem to be fair priced w/ a good warranty.Any likes , dislikes, or "i heard " comments welcome.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the accuracy of the shorter barrel on current AR-15? I qualified as an expert with both the M14 and M16, shooting up to 500 yards, but that was with a 20" barrel.

I have an 18" barrel on an SKS and it is good to about 300 yards. A friend is trying to get be to build an AR-15. If I do I am wondering if I want to go with a longer barrel then what seems to be used these days.

Semper Fi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is a good lubricant for these type rifles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a older 24" dpms fluted HBAR for a ar-15 in .223.Has the rail with a simmons scope and is blued not ss.Also has factory slots in the barrel.Anyone have a idea as to what it is worth?Round count is very low.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wheres the best place to order ar-15 accessories online.Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wheres the best place to buy uppers for a ar-15.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone have an AR-15 and a Hellstorm Trigger system installed?

Maybe a Tac Trigger system?

Do they work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found an AR-15 at a gun show my home state a few years ago, pre-ban, triangular forestock w/bayonet stud, .223 cal., looks just exactly like the ones I used in the Army during Viet Nam, with the exception of the selector switch, which does not have the "Auto" position. The only markings I have found on it besides the serial # is: R.I.A. Olympia, WA. Does anybody know anything about what this R.I.A. stands for? I can't find info on it. Help?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a new short collapsable stock for my Bushmaster AR-15. Do I have to buy a special tool to remove the long original stock and install the new stock???
    Thanks,

Merle Denny
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me how DPMS panter-arms, stacks up agianst colt, bushmaster,rock river, and others in the world of ar-15s.

thanks for your time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I AM IN THE MARKET FOR AN AR-15. I HAVE DONE SOME HOMEWORK ON THIS, BUT I JUST WANTED TO GET SOME OPPINIONS AS TO WHO BUILDS THE BEST AR AND WHY.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an AR-15 marked " E.A. INC. Is that Eagle Arms or someone else?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looked at an AR-15 this weekend. Manufacture, D.P.S. Does anyone know anything about these?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi guys, its been a while since I have had the option of using the forums, but I'm back! So my question is, what can you experts tell me about the worth of an orginale Colt AR-15, in near mint condition?I ran into one at a private sale, and I think the guy had it priced too hi, but I'm not real sure about their value.
    Thanks for your help,

BigBarn[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For the money, what is the best ar 15 out there. I am wanting to use it for long range target and varment shooting.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I own a Colt AR-15 in .223.

If I buy an upper in 6.8, it will fit the lower, right?

The magazine will not fit?

thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am in the market for an ar-15 something in the m4a3 configuration, and was planning to get a bushmaster,..but a dealer in my area has Dalphon brand ar's and are about $150.00 bucks cheaper,...I would appreciate some info on this brand firearm. THANKS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need some help before my father wraps his around a tree. He just got it back from colt today and the first round he fired jammed this is the same reason he sent it in. The shell will not extract but if you spray a little rem oil in it it will cycle through three or four rounds no problem but then jam again he has tried several different kinds of ammo same results maybe you guys can help because colt seems to think there is no problem with it and I know from personal experience there is. (brass ammo seems to work a little better but does the same thing just longer intervals)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much is this rifle worth. I got it through a relative and would lke to know the value.

Its a Colt Sporter Competition HBAR. It has 4 magazines. (2-20 rounds and 2-40 rounds) It has been shot one time only with approximately 40 rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I know little to nothing about AR's. So here is my question. I am looking at a Colt shorty that has the removeable handle to make it a flat top. My question is this, how do I get the front post and sight out of my way to put on a scope on the rail? Thank you for all help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What determines AR-15 pre-ban or post ban status?? Can post ban changes be reversed legally?

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a colt lightwieght mod6530 with a flash suppressor.is it pre-ban and what is it worth
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I feel pretty dumb but can anyone tell me what an AR-15 lighting link is I saw it on ebay and figured the best place to find out was here
  • Options
    hughes1hughes1 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can actually use a scope on the rifle without removing the front post. The focal length of the scope will not be hampered by the sight post. However with that said, it looks stupid and I would want to remove it too. The sight post can be replaced with a gas block, I would recomend having a gunsmith or someone who has done it before do it, otherwise it is easy to mar the weapon while drifting out the sight post pins etc. The position of the gas block is also critical because if not properly placed it can allow too little or too much gas to flow into the gas tube thus causing cycling problems.
  • Options
    raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    db, hughes1 is right on the focal length. A lot of shooters leave the front post on and add a flip-up rear sight. This allows for the shooter to use a red-dot or holograph type scope for fast target acquisition such as CQB (close quarter battle)situations and if their optics ever fail (from a number of reasons) the shooter can still use the existing hard sights to aim through the scope, refered to as co-witness. If your intent is to shoot greater distance on a regular bases, a full size 20" H-bar (heavy barrel) would be a better choice. Hopes this helps.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I use an ARMS Swan Sleeve on my Colt M4s as well as one of my AR-15 carbines and this rail mounts to the top of the receiver quite solidly and has a flip up rear sight. With the ARMS mount and matching rings I can quickly attach either a 4 power Stiener scope, a 3.5X10 Leupold, a Trijicon Reflex, or an Aimpoint unit in seconds and have the rear sight available if I need it. The GG&G company offers a fold down front sight in addition to their pop up rear sight and these folding front units replace the existing assembly but these GG&G items are expensive and you will need the services of a gun smith for installation. I sell Colts for a living and I've never once felt the need to chop off the front sight assembly because I don't find it to be much of a bother using any type of optics.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why then does Colt make the handle removeable when there is a front sight in the way of the scope? I am not sure that I asked the right question. If I put a scope on the gun mounted to the rail that the carry handle and rear sight is mounted on then the whole front sight set up is in the way of sight picture.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Let me attempt to explain this. You will find that a scope on an AR will not be mounted as close to the barrel as it is on most bolt action rifles. On ARs you will find that you will need to raise the scope to about the level of the original sights for comfort and eye placement above the straight stock or an AR. This means that the scope will only pick up the top portion of the front sight, not the whole front sight. For most scopes at powers of 4 and above you will not see the sights due to the way optics work. The front sight will be only a faint blurr. B-Square and ArmaLite make forward offset integral scope mounts for this application. The B-Square cost about $50 and the ArmaLite cost about $100. Either is fine on an AR type rifle. I prefer the ArmaLite mount because it has big thumb screws for tightening the scope to the rifle.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member