In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 SIG...your thoughts?recoil?

phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
How is the recoil on this, compared to 9mm and .45.

Desert Eagle .50AE
Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
EAA Witness 10mm
Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
Ruger MK1
Mosin-Nagant M38
banner-big.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I'd rate it close to 10mm, with baudaceous muzzle flash.
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lots of flash, but felt/apparent recoil depends on pistol, and the lighter/smaller the pistol the more the felt recoil ... so you can have a 357 sig bucking harder than a full house 45.

In Glock, with full house loads and models of similar dimensions and weights I think the 10mm has more buck than the 45 and the 357 sig is near or a little below the 45.

9mm don't really come into the picture as it is the lightest of the lot, even at full loads.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking at the SIG Pro in .357SIG.

Desert Eagle .50AE
    Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    EAA Witness 10mm
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Ruger MK1
    Mosin-Nagant M38
    banner-big.jpg
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has the stopping capability of the 357 Mag, flatter shooting than the other semi auto cartridges, feeding jams have to be very minimal compared to straight cartridges and a magazinefull is a bit lighter in 357 Sig than either the 40 or the 45.
    Although I dont have one yet, they sound very attractive.
    Handloading,though sounds to be more of a pain due to a short neck and a lack of carbide dies.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say it recoils just slightly more than the S&W .40 cal.
    [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    Limerick.gif

A little lemon and seltzer will remove those pesky ink stains after you've been fingerprinted. "
    Martha Stewart

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    In the SIG P229 this round is very accurate and controllable. For me there is very little felt recoil in this gun. Handheld, not benched, I can group under 3" @ 25 yards with my P229. My followup shots were timed in at ~3 second intervals. This is a one sweet round and gun combo.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Recoil is more than the 9mm and the 45acp. It is much like the 357mag and it is designed to be. The 10mm is a more powerful round. The 40 S&W hot loads are comparable. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's above a 9mm, more abrupt hit than a .45 (but overall I'd rate them fairly equal on recoil, one is more of a shove, the other a snap).

I think the recoil is a lot like the 10mm in a moderate load.
    V35, I'd have to argue about the SIG being a flatter shooting than the 10mm. I guess it depends which load. The .357 SIG won't touch good 10mm ammo like DoubleTap (http://doubletapammo.com/main_site/index.html).

pistolcartridges.jpg

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not part with my P229 Sport in 357sig for anything. I found my caliber. Never was much good with the .45. Like others said, it depends a great deal on what model you get, size and all. The recoil is very manageable with the Sig P229Sport and it is compensated for what that is worth. nunn { David } says he thinks Sigs are ugly but they work. Good luck to you.
    Ron
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambi- I didn't have the 10mm in mind. It would be good to compare trajectories. Offhand, I suspect the 357 Sig might have better sectional density than the 11mm.