In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for Turkey Hunters

notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a new barrell for my Remington 870 today.
I needed as short a barrel as possible, due to a permanent handicap, so I purchased the 20" barrel with the Rem Choke system and it comes with the imp. cyl choke and a rifled choke. I want to use the gun for turkey hunting so I also bought a "Hastings" super full .640 dia. choke. When I installed the "Hastings" choke and then look through barrel from breech end I can see a noticeable shoulder or step in the barrel where the choke starts.

My question is....is this noticeable shoulder normal? Do the other makes and guns with different length barrels see this same shoulder when the super tight chokes are installed? Is the barrel safe to shoot like this? It just looks really strange when you look down this barrel and see this step or shoulder. I thought maybe I am committing some error by putting this choke in this short barrel. I bought it from Midway and explained to their tech what I wanted to accomplish and he stated he saw no problem. Should I contact Remington and ask them? Thanks in advance for responses.

NO, I'M NOT EXPRESSING ANGER! I TYPE WITH CAPS BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE THE USE OF ONE HAND!

Comments

• Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim, I'm with you. I would not expect to see a "shoulder" either. I would call Hastings and talk to their techies. The tube should screw in to where just a line might be visible where the tube and barrel meet internally. I don't think there would be a very visible transition from the barrel to the tube.
    You might be able to get a small inspection mirror and with a flash light see if the tube is screwing into the barrel completely. I would expect to see just a line where the tube bottoms out in the barrel.
    Be sure all threads are clean with no burrs when you're checking!! With the gun unloaded, please ,or with the barrel off of the gun!!
    Good luck,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too would not expect to see a noticable transition like a forcing cone. I think Duk has given good advice: call Hastings and talk to the tech guys. Might also measure the inner diameter of the choke to see that it really is .640.

He Dog
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU BETTER!!! get that checked cuz neighbor shoots an 870 mag and i shoot an 835 he uses a kix and i use a hstings and it's a smooth transition no gap NO RIDGE jim

jimjim
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    which way are you looking down the barrel ? if I look thru mine ( 870 12ga ) from the muzzle end there looks like a step , but when you look down it from the breech then it looks smooth it looks this way with both the factory turkey tube and also my undertaker tube
    also if I run a dowel into the barrel from the muzzle end I can feel a little tick as it crosses the seam (end of choke tube ), but from the breech end I get no tick , its smooth
  • Options
    notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your response. Today I rechecked everything and found the Remington chokes and the Hastings choke to be identical at the breech end. I reinstalled the choke in the barrel and determined that what I am seeing is that the Hastings choke is a parallel choke. The last 1.1 inches of this choke are straight cut to .640 diameter. Yet, the breech end of choke actually tapers towards this parallel area. Therefore,
    when you look through the barrel from the breech end it creates an optical illusion of a step or shoulder.
    I spoke with a technician at Remington and it was stated that everything should be fine.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    glad everything is OK , when you start patterning your gun check out Win Supreme 3" # 5 , they have worked every well in my guns , hope you get a big one[:D]