In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.380 for self-defense?

The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 auto. At 10 ounces, it's going to be my constant companion. To date, I've been carrying my .40 S&W, but it's getting to be a hassle, and this little pocket pistol will probably suit my needs. `Bout the only time I would ever use it if someone pulled a knife on me, or as a last resort.
I don't expect much from it, I suspect that if I have to use it, it will be at less than 5 feet, so accuracy is not of high importance. Knock-down power is my biggest concern, and before you laugh, I know, the .380 has been referred to as an over-powered paper punch---I got enough of that from my friends when I first got the thing.
Given this, what is the best self-defense ammo available for this gun? It won't need to go through body armor, it won't need to stop a car, heck, it won't even need to penetrate a car windshield or front door---all it will need to do is knock down some hyped-up thug holding a knife (or maybe a jealous husband chasing me down the street!! :)).
Any preferences?

Comments

• Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF it will feed them, try the Federal Hydra Shocks.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try remingtons golden saber, it has a heavier bullet than whats found in most .380's.

http://www.remington.com/ammo/pistol_revolver/goldnsaber.htm
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tinman..

Just so you'll know, if a guy pulls a knife and he's only five feet away, and your pistol is still in your pocket...you're in for a bunch of stitches.

At 21 feet, if he's pulled his knife, and you're not locked, loaded, and looking down the barrel at him, you're in for a lot of stitches.

That's what they teach all LEO's.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RBCD has very effective 380 defensive ammo. Not the easiest stuff to find and runs around $36 for a box of 20. You can go to their website www.rbcd.net if you can't find a supplier near you.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I share your excitement. I've only had the chance to get off three shots at a plastic bottle from 10 ft. and hit it every time - no big deal. It'll be a while before I can get to a range.
    Have a look at the following websites and join the Keltec fanatics.

KTOG
    www.1bad69.com
    The Keltec Range
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vote is for the Speer Gold Dot or the Hornady XTP. The Rem. Golden Sabre has a high recommendation for .38 special so probably the above recc. is right on as well as the Federals. Look at ammunition at www.midwayusa.com as they have a lot of variety to look at in .380. .380 might not be a powerhouse but you'll probably have it along instead of under the seat or at home. Besides, some feel armed with a .25 auto, a true mouse hunting caliber.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Any ammo that feeds reliably is going to be a deterrent when it hits the perp.
    Speer Gold Dot feed well for me, but even ball ammo that feeds will hurt.
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when beer came in steel cans I had a 25 cal.
    If I shot at the can the bullet would bounce off the back side of the can , shake the can and the bullet was inside. So I got a 380 , that did it , the bullet went all the way though the can. Now that I am older and wiser I have a 45 acp. and pack a 44mag. in the woods.[8D]

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.

NRA write your Rep. will save a stamp
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/home/
    GOA
    http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Tinman..

Just so you'll know, if a guy pulls a knife and he's only five feet away, and your pistol is still in your pocket...you're in for a bunch of stitches.

At 21 feet, if he's pulled his knife, and you're not locked, loaded, and looking down the barrel at him, you're in for a lot of stitches.

That's what they teach all LEO's.

John

Perfectly stated!
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all your concern about heavier calibers, 21 foot minimum distances and such, but realistically, I find that I'm not carrying my USP .40 S&W every day. As a matter of fact, these past few months, I carry it only on weekends.
    This little .380 is small enough to where I will carry it much more often than my USP, and any kind of firearm is better than nothing when accosted by those who would do you harm.
    Will it prevail in a mugging? I dunno, I've never been mugged before, but if someone asks for my wallet, I'll reach for my pistol instead. If the bad guy is holding a chrome .45 in my face, well, my wallet is his, no questions asked and if luck is with me, he will never know I had a pistol.
    If I'm walking from my bus stop to my automobile after working late one night, and some unsavory character crosses the street to my side, I'll probably surreptitiously pull my pistol and keep it handy, but hidden, but if I'm at my bank and it gets robbed by an armed bandit, I'm not going to play hero---but he sure as heck won't take me hostage without a fight.
    No, in all seriousness, I'm not going to fight back if a bad-guy has the drop on me---nothing I own is worth dieing for, and very little of what I own will I kill to keep from losing. My biggest fear is from that one person whose rationale has left them. Reason will not work, and only force will. Realistically, I'm probably not going to have my 40-cal with me, but odds are, I'll have this little paper-puncher. I'd like for the ammo I use to have tendency to feed properly, work the first time, every time, and have the gumption to instantly convince that bad-guy that I am not the person he wants to molest.
    I understand that there is some specialty ammunition available that fits this bill. I understand that it is expensive, but I'm not going to use it for target practice, and in all honesty, I hope I never have to use it, but if I do, I want it to be effective---very effective.
  • Options
    ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salvage33... Said it right.. At 21 feet, any bullet you keep in it will not do much good. Take a good look at 21 feet, You can blink and he (or she) will be on you. But if you need to have something, Maybe look at a G26 or Colt Pocket 9, or S&W 60 with +P ammo. Hope you never need to use ANY gun.. Good Luck![:)]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member..NRA,
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS, IDPA
    Thanks for all the help!

IN GOD WE TRUST! *And don't use Pay Pal!