In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What punches do you use?

mauser_centralmauser_central Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
The screwdriver thread caused me to think of this.
All my gunsmith tools are satisfactory except my punches, seems i cant buy a good set. all the brands i have tried batter, bend and break, even my Lyman punches were only good for about 4 uses each then bent. i don't mind to pay for quality, but which brand is a quality set?

I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be damn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble.
John Wayne

Comments

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't get any better than Starrett. Available at...

www.brownells.com

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second Hangfire, Thats what I use at work and home.

eyeflash.gif
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can start with a tapered punch to get the pin going then follow up with the pin punch you may do better.
    Look at the MSC catalog and see what's out there. Starrel and Browne and Sharp used to be the best if they still make them.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes a sucker punch is necessary.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brass punches are designed to be soft. they are designed to be non-maring, and non-sparking. thats why they are preffered by gunsmiths. you can buy tungstan-carbide punches through most mail order tool catalogs. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    V35 has the answer, but try Sears Craftsman. If they bend or break, take it back and they will give you a new one.
    Taperloc
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always used Snap-On and I have had mine 10+ years with no failures.
    Even banging the rivets out of an AK stock trunion!

I measured it and cut it twice, and it's still too short!
  • Options
    mauser_centralmauser_central Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the brand selections. I use mostly steel punches and only use brass on ocassion. I admit i had never thought of using a tapered punch on stubborn pins [ ie; early 1900's era never been removed pins ] before using the pin punch. As the brits would say '' what a splendid idea ol' chap ''. Im sure whatever brand i go with that this method will prolong their life. I Thank all of you again for the replies.

I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be damn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble.
    John Wayne