In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help: ID of old German bullets

shootitshootit Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
I picked up several boxes of old bullets (projectiles only) at a gun show and need some help identifying them. One box has the bullets neatly packed standing on end with what appears to be sawdust around them. The only marking on the box is ".15 m/m H'M' Kupter?Pitse". There is a shield emblem with what appears to be a U inside it embossed in the base of each bullet. The bullets have the appearance of being assembled in such a way that it looks like the front portion could slide down into the base section.

I have two other boxes which are marked "50 Starkmantelgeschosse DWM Berlin-Karlsruher Industrie-Werke A.G. Fruher Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken, Karlsruhe i.B." The only difference in the boxes is that one is marked "7-32,5 Mit Verdectom Loch" and the other is marked "7-20 Mit Bleikopf". There is a printed paper in each box that has a large heading that says "8x60 Magnum Bombe" preceeded by "Bei Verwendung von Starkmantel-geschossen unbedingt beachten!"

I have others, but for the sake of brevity I'll stop here. Thanks for any and all help.

NRA Life Member

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You probably would be better served by posting your questions, to this forum.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/f/forum.php

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The logo is that of RWS. The European members of the IAA forum (the URL provided by rufe-snow) will be able to translate the verbiage for you or you could try running it through one of the many free translation programs available on line, although typically these are not too successful with technical / proprietary terms.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I had some of the projectiles that had the shield. They are TUG bullets. Made from two pieces of brass and use hard lead in the base and soft lead in the ojive. Very expensive to make. From the 20's or 30's. Mine were 8.15mm and the paperwork said they were great big game bullets.

Your DWM marked bullets probably are about the same, but I am not familiar with the particular words used.

There is an internet translator that will put you in the ballpark as to the meaning.

Best,
    Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all! I posted on the suggested site and got a very complete answer from Doc AV.

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was asked to post the reply I received from the other site, so here it is:[:)]

dave, your projectiles seem to be Inter-War products of
    "BKIW" the corporate successor of DWM after WW I. The U in
    shield is one of the Trademarks of the former "H.Uttendorfer
    munitions fabrik", one of the Companies merged into DWM prior to WW
    I; The Single turned bullet is likely "Kupfer" (Copper) and
    the rest of the marking is "8,15mm HM (H-mantel) Copper Spitze
    (pointed) The other labelis "50 Stahlmantel geschoss (steel
    jacketed bullet) of the BKIW (formerly DWM) factory in Karlsruhe, in
    Baden(state) The two different boxes are two different types of bullet
    design, "Verdectem Loch" (? Protected Point??) but
    "BleiKopf" is "Lead head", or "soft
    Point". The "8x60 Magnum Bombe" was an Interwar
    "wildcat" cartridge given the respectability of factory
    production due to the Treaty of Versailles, which prohibited the civilian
    ownership of "8x57" (7,9) Military ammo and rifles. So ordinary
    Gew98s and sporters were rechambered to the "8x60" case
    (slightly shorter than the USA "8mm/06".) The "Magnum
    Bombe" cartridge was a high velocity loading with DWM designed
    special Hunting Bullets (controlled expansion etc). My German is not
    sufficient to translate the "Bei verwendung " Phrase... An
    interesting find. Regards, Doc AV

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shootit,

Thanks for posting that! I think that a lot of us enjoy reading about these mysterious finds.

Bei Verwendung von Starkmantel-geschossen unbedingt beachten!"

Is

"When using heavy jacketed bullets, absolutely consider(insert brand name) in the (8x60 Magnum Bombe)!

Best.