In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W M29 Blueing?

THE_5th_HANDTHE_5th_HAND Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
I collect and mess around with replica guns(so please bear with me if my questions sound stupid). Just recently I have been looking at the S&W M29, now isn't the real version of this gun have a blued finish? I acquired a silver metal frame for a replica M29, and I am curious how I could blue it. What processes are avaliable to do something like this by myself and for what metals will it work. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bluing process used for the high quality steel in guns would probably not work on a pot metal replica. Your best bet would be to try to find a dark blue epoxy paint in a spray can.

Neal
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree w/ Neal ... use paint if you want a "blued" appearance. However, you could get M-29's in nickle finish until 1991 so you could leave it in the bright finish and say it was a replica of a nickle finished 29.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hell, go buy a real 29[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jake_S-83
    hell, go buy a real 29[:D]

Jake - may be a "youngster" w/o the option to buy a real firearm for a couple more years [;)]

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    THE_5th_HANDTHE_5th_HAND Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The bluing process used for the high quality steel in guns would probably not work on a pot metal replica
    Well I am sure that this is higher quality metal than pot metal. I believe it is is either steel or aluminum, but I am not sure on this. Regardless, what methods are availible to blue metal, can it be done fairly easy?

quote:hell, go buy a real 29
    Actually I plan to get one eventually, but I get replicas for another reason. This one and others I have are high quality airsoft guns(which basically means they are replica guns that use coolant gasses and other means to propell 6mm pellets). While they may not be as satisfying as shooting real guns, it is as realistic you can get and still be able to shoot at other people in combat simulations.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aluminum requires a different process than steel, and Stainless is yet another matter.

Setting the metal content/quality issue aside. If your buying the more expensive replicas ... why take the chance of ruining it by trying to change it ... there are 29's out there if bright and matte finished nickle and there are even some that have been hard chromed although that was not a factory option, but an aftermarket finish.

Why you buy/collect the type of pistols you do is your business. But don't try chemical based finish changes as the odds are stacked against your having a satisfactory result. That applies to home finishing regular firearms ... only a very few with the acquired experience and working materials can home finish a gun to anywhere near the quality of a factory finish. Minor finish touch ups can be done and w/o close examination will not show up, but complete finishes are a different beast.

2470099-S.jpg