In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MAG44PISTOL

TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
How about an update on your wildcat .50bmg-20mm?

Comments

• Options
    stalion10stalion10 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trap, apparently there's an old post about this that was before my time. if you feel that its any of my bussiness, could you include a little back ground on this matter, i'm sure a lot of people(myself included) would love to here it
    Ed

it's not the type of gun you have in the heat of a battle that counts, only if you have enough ammo for it, lets face it, a gun without ammo is only as good as a base ball bat!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm hoping Mag44 would give us an update and some pics. He's a machinist that built his own single shot and dies for a 20mm necked down to take the .50bmg slug. He had a case neck splitting problem from a burr in the sizing die. Thats where he left us hanging!
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=97172
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks trapp, you've up dated us all in the know, and i app. that. now that everybody is in the know as i am, we're all hangin, hinged on an answer just like you,. thanks, if you had'nt told us,i, we would'nt be as courious and would be able to go to bed and sleep tonight instead of waiting for a answer like you, guess there is some truth to what they say, is'nt there!!!!! dont ask for what you dont want.!!!!ey
    Ed

it's not the type of gun you have in the heat of a battle that counts, only if you have enough ammo for it, lets face it, a gun without ammo is only as good as a base ball bat!!
  • Options
    mag44pistolmag44pistol Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks trapp for asking, after the beating I took in the last posting I decided it was not a place to post or talk about any of my projects. But since you ask i`ll inform you of where im at, A good friend of mine has stepped in after seeing where I was at and has many years of experience in reloading and making widcat rounds that I don`t helped me redesign my forming dies and also I decided to make them including carbide for the strength of the dies. I also after a few suggestions got off on a tangent thinking I could have a head space problem so I disasembled the rifle to check for the problem that was not there. Another friend of mine stopped by that works for a large comapny (P&G) he is a tool and die maker for them and he sayed he could make a die for it we settled on a 5 round clip for it and I was thinking ahead when I made the reciever for the rifle and now im in the process on machining the reciever to accept the clip being manufactured right now. I have not taken any pictures of the rifle because like I said after the last posting I was not going to post any more about the rifle but since your nice and thoughtful enough to keep a interest, I`ll send you some pics of it if you give me a e-mail address to send when i finish grinding the dies to size, as of right now I have not taken or allowed any pics of the rifle at all. People who know me don`t doubt me and I guess I really took it personally when I was hit by all the negative postings I recieved. Once again thanks for asking and when I do decide at my own pace to take the pics of it you will be the first to get them.

mag44pistol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, im going to Knob Creek, wish it was ready but its not, but i will have it ready for the fall shot, and anyone want to meet there and see it and take a shot with it let me know, i`ll make the offer to only the guys on the talk forum......

mag44pistol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MAG44, You can't hang here with thin skin! Next time tell them to pi$$ off.[}:)] Send the pics when you can, and I'll post them for you, and the non-believers! I assume you are useing the 20mm M-50 brass case the Airforce uses? I was just looking at one compared with a .50 BMG round, it looks like at least twice the case capacity! Man i would love to shoot that thing![:p]

Capt. KIRK, If this is better served on the G.D. Forum, say so and it's moved. Thanks for the slack if it is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    traps right, and by the way, why DO you let people like beavis and butthead bother you, expecially when there are far more people out there like trap and i that are dieing to hear and see more. so post all you can on the subjct (perty please)
    Ed

• Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a technical subject and I hope it can continue to live here so it don't drown in the clutter of GD, but at the minimum let's keep this alive on the email side.

My buddies have already left for Knob Creek and I was feeling a little down that I'm not up to making the trip ... then the rain changed to snow this afternoon and I'm kinda thankful to be home by the fire.[:D]

Anyway, a lot of the stuff that we have today started out in somebody's garage or basement ... you keep pluggin away and don't let the "ankle nippers" bother ya. If you bother to look it is generally someone who won't even list their name and has email contact blocked, so consider the source, and press on.[}:)]

Notes on progress, or impediments, and pix when you got them will be great, and if we ever do cross paths at Knob Creek and you have that "boomer" finished I would like to reimburse you for a round and have a go.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trap your right on the brass casings and i purchase them as surplus and thats what got me onto this crazy thought that turned into a great project. Knob creek is not far from me im only about a hour away from there so contender man it would be a honor to just let you have a crack at it. I have a big mess on my work bench right now the rifle is completly torn down, It does work but not safely right now and its all part of the making of it i guess, have to work it out and like ive said in the past im no expert just like most people it was a idea. I have the new dies for the casings but I need to grind them in a centerless grinder and thats a job at work and i have not the spare time right now, I`ll take some pictures of the process of grinding them. I have a bridgeport mill that i am setting up the reciever on im my garage i`ll take some pictures of that process as well, and when my buddy get the clip made and we do the final fit to the rifle. maybe if you want i`ll take some pictures of the assembly of it as well. then finally the test fire of it in my shooting fixture i made for it in the first test and if all is well we will take some first hand held firing pictures, this is not going to be done over night but within the next few months. Then i`ll make up a couple hundred rounds for Knob Creek in the Fall, guys like i said you show you shot, its not there for me to make money on it was one of those can i or can i not things, thanks for your interest

mag44pistol