In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 1100 20 LT 3" mag

Taylor46Taylor46 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a remington 1100 20 LT 3" Mag. It is choked full. I want to shoot dove and skeet with it and want to use the light loads. Can I have a gun smith bore out the Full choke to IC and can he drill out the port in the barrel so it will shoot the light loads?

Comments

• Lee TenoldLee Tenold Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you can have it rechoked as they ream and polish the choke bore and for the porting part you should be able to shoot the light loads in the gun I use my 12 ga mag for trap and don't have a problem as long as I keep it clean! Once a year I bring it in and have it cleaned and checked by my smith and it works every time with 3in mags or 2 3/4 trap loads Lee
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not get another barrel with Remchokes?
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taylor: Yes most Gunsmiths can do this for you, however you will ruin the barrel for shooting 3in. shells. The larger gas port will let too much gas in for 3 in shells and you will beat the back of the receiver to death. You should only shoot 2 3/4 in shells if you have this done. Most gunsmiths have a minimum charge of 1 hr. shop time, so you would be looking at approx. $50. plus to do the job. there are used barrels available to accomplish what you want for a few dollars more, or you could even buy a new barrel, with a rib and choke tubes like Trap55 suggested, they run about $165. I would watch Gunbroker under the parts/barrel section, or Ebay for a good used one myself, those Lt 20ga 3 in barrels are hard to come by, I'd hate to see you do that to your barrel. Regards Dave
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OnlyWin., Thanks for saving me the typing,thats where i was going with my question. Much cheaper to buy another barrel, and not ruin a good one!
  • Taylor46Taylor46 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the good advice.