In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Charles Daly mini mauser -- info sought

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am considering "building" my own and am looking at the Charles Daly barreled action. Any ideas about the accuracy, trigger quality, etc.??? Why the Charles Daly? It is the only one that I can find besides Ruger that offers 22 Hornet in stainless.

Thanks for the feed back -- I hope.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couple things ... I'm not aware of Ruger just selling their 77/22 Hornet actions or barreled actions, so you may have to buy the whole rifle. Also, I don't think the factory trigger is adjustable, so there may be the expense of an aftermarket trigger.

Daly sells modestly priced guns and components and I've owned a few of them over the years, from shotguns to pistols. Their min-Mauser sounds very interesting, and if they stick to their production and delivery projections the Stainless should be available around August. Actions and barreled actions are available and they come with an adjustable trigger ... although you may still end up going with an aftermarket.

Ruger turns out a good product, but their out of the box accuracy is not all that consistent and many folks swap out the triggers. Since your talking barreled action the out of the box don't mean that much to you, but the trigger replacement may.

All things considered, if your set on stainless I think you may be happier going the Daly route. Of course if you can live with blued steel then I would suggest the CZ527 American.[;)]

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plains, I have had a mark x mini-mauser for about 14 or 15 years no and I would not trade it for anything. Two things I had to do right off was to adjust the trigger to get a decent pull with no creep but I have a friend who is really good with triggers and he took care of it for me. The second was the safety is the sliding type which I hate with a passion but after working with mine I have it working just fine now. It was baulky at first. I did not need to glass bed or anything like that--it shoots well under 3/4" without it which will do the trick on anything I will shoot. It is an absolutely joy to shoot. I did redo the stock llmyself to take some of the weight out of it but that is just one of my prejudiences(I hate the factory clubs that most rifles come with). I shortened its forend and stock to look like one of the old english light african rifles. I think my granddaughter already has her eye on it. In a word the little mini-mausers are jewels. My pick anyway.