In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cobray PM/11 barrel

jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible to change the barrel on the PM/11 to a threaded one? For some reason I cannot remove the existing barrel. I even tried to hold it down in a vise and remove it with a wrench, it would not budge! Also, are the original threaded barrels bigger, are they interchangeable?

Comments

• Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be illegal, sir. Threaded barrell only on pre-ban guns.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    To unscrew the barrel you must drive out the roll pin in the upper that keeps the barrel from backing out. Be sure to re-tap the threads before installing a new barrel

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what does re-tap mean?
  • Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is not illegal to change these barrels, the pm11's are sold with (or without) threaded barrels and changing them is a fairly simple process however if you do not now how to get it apart or "tap" the barrel then i would assume you should not try this yourself,but take it to a gunsmith and let him help you out.it should not cost that much . just another suggestion KEEP THE ORIGINAL BARREL good luck with it.

TIM
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re-tap means to basicaly re shape or re new the threads by the use of a tap set which you can buy at your local sears or just about any hardware store. If you do not know how or have never done this before, read the answer above by (Roadkill) again and go to a gunsmith and have him do it if he will. As stated above it may be illeagal.

PJ

If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Life Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timinpa
    it is not illegal to change these barrels, the pm11's are sold with (or without) threaded barrels and changing them is a fairly simple process however if you do not now how to get it apart or "tap" the barrel then i would assume you should not try this yourself,but take it to a gunsmith and let him help you out.it should not cost that much . just another suggestion KEEP THE ORIGINAL BARREL good luck with it.

TIM

I disagree, It is illegal to put a threaded barrel on a post ban PM-11. That is why Cobray stopped offering the pistols with threaded barrels after the assault weapons ban.

The 1994 federal "Crime Bill," signed into law by President Clinton on Sept. 13, 1994, included the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. That Act included provisions amending the Gun Control Act (GCA, 1968) to make it a federal crime for a private individual to possess or transfer (sell, give, etc.) an "assault weapon" manufactured after that date. [18 U.S.C. 922(v)]. "Assault weapons" manufactured on or before that date are "grandfathered," meaning that the law does not prohibit their possession or transfer. Government agencies and their agents (the military, police departments, etc.) are exempt from the law. To distinguish between "pre-ban" and "post-ban" firearms, the law requires that "assault weapons" manufactured after Sept. 13, 1994 be stamped with their date of manufacture.

The law defines firearms as "assault weapons" by one or both of two methods: name and description. [18 U.S.C. 921(a)(30)]. All told, the law affects more than 175 semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns and revolving cylinder shotguns a cross-section of firearms of various sizes, shapes, and calibers/gauges. Under the law, the term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means:

any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as: Norinco, Mitchell, Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); Action Arms I.M.I. UZI and Galil; Beretta AR-70 (SC70); Colt AR-15; Fabrique Nationale FN-FAL/LAR, and FNC; SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; Steyr AUG; Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

a semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following: a folding or telescoping stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a bayonet mount; a flash suppressor or threaded barrel; and a grenade launcher;

a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following: an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following: a folding or telescoping stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a fixed magazine in excess of five rounds; and an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
    "Large capacity ammunition feeding devices"

The law also prohibits a private individual from possessing or transferring a "large capacity ammunition feeding device" manufactured after Sept. 13, 1994. Government agencies and their agents (the military, police departments, etc.) are exempt. The law defined that term to include "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device . . . that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition; but does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition." Such "devices" manufactured prior on or before Sept. 13, 1994, including those manufactured outside the United States, remain legal to possess, transfer and import. Such "devices" manufactured after that date must be stamped with the date of manufacture. The law places the "burden of proof" upon the government, not the individual, in the event of a criminal charge relating to possession of such a "device."

MOLON LABE!I was not in Vietnam but I supportbumpersticker.gif
    356074.245801.gifted-nugent-for-president-t-shirt.jpg356074.208972.gif125_button_kerry_leaders.gif
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think bt has this one covered folks. If he is wrong I'm headed to the bank and then buy threaded barrels for my Mac's, AB's, AR's, AK's, etc. Hey, I can dream can't I?

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jhimco, here is a link to change your barrel to a threaded one http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17247003 simple part simple process you can check weather it's leagal or not later TIM

TIM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry the wrong item link keeps popping up

TIM