In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

L.C. Smith Field grade question

ta812002ta812002 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have an L.C. Smith Field Grade in 12g that is dated to around 1915.
It is a Hunter Arms gun.
The forend is a push button type. It has a spring inside of it like a normal forend, but it is primarily held on with a latch that is released by a button on the tip of the forend. Very similar to Spanish and some Belgian guns.
I have not seen any other L.C. Smith guns with this type of forend on it.
Is it in any way rare?

Comments

• Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Called a Curtis forend release---- discontinued about 1918.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And was the Curtis Forend used only on the Hunter made guns (starting in 1914)? or were they also used on the earlier Syracuse guns?
  • Options
    robertchambersrobertchambers Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Curtis fore end latch was not push button although it was in the same location as the Anson latch (push button)...if you want, I can post a photo of the Curtis fore end latch...usually reserved for trap guns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Turns out that laxcoach and ta81 are correct...I thought LC's Anson latch was short lived due to patent infringement...the Curtis fore end latch patent does show a push button...but on my LC Smith Specialty grade Trap 12ga the fore end tip does not move without a screwdriver...please excuse me Lax and ta81...hope these photos help anyway

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02418.jpg

DSC02417.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Other info I found was the Curtis push button latches were used from 1912/13 to 1918 give or take a few. Some information states patent infringement and others suggest cost cutting as the reason for not using it anymore.
    It is a true push button operation, but does not seem to be spring loaded.
    Seens a bit redundant to have it be used, but I guess that the early L.C. guns were having trouble with the forends falling off.
    I believe it since the spring on mine does not seem to do anything. If it was not for the curtis latch, it would fall off also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ta8 and lax,
    Here was the source of my mistake, I had mixed up the Curtis fore end patent with the Wadsworth patent. Again I apologize, but as fellow students of LC Smith's I thought you might like know why the mistake.

CopyofDSC02423.jpg

CopyofDSC02426.jpg