In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

m1 carbine safety help

frequentfrequent Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys. im buying my first m1 carbine. its a national ordnance m1. need info on how to change the m1 carbine safety into a rotating one. also need a parts list. thanks so much.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest leaving it as is, the rotating ones are much more common.
  • frequentfrequent Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I'd suggest leaving it as is, the rotating ones are much more common.

I was actually debating whether to leave it or not. It is just that i did not buy the carbine for collection. It will be my trunk gun in the future if im camping(i always get disapproving looks with my bcm or feg ak.) I guess the push button safety lever is good but i just dont want to risk not being able to disengage the safety when i need it most. thanks.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Pick up a spare trigger group for it [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Pick up a spare trigger group for it [;)]

I was looking at it but the ones i saw was selling for over $200. Is there no other cheaper route? thank you.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to buy a copy of "US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch. It has a parts list plus disassembly instructions.

Neal
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Uncle Sam had complete safety change-over (push button to rotating) kits for use in depots during carbine over hauls. SARCO used to sell those kits new in their original little grey parts bags with that strange little "snap top". It might be worthwhile to see if they still have them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Uncle Sam had complete safety change-over (push button to rotating) kits for use in depots during carbine over hauls. SARCO used to sell those kits new in their original little grey parts bags with that strange little "snap top". It might be worthwhile to see if they still have them.

Thanks much i will try it out..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    You may want to buy a copy of "US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch. It has a parts list plus disassembly instructions.

Neal

Thanks..im gonna see if i can get one copy..
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was nothing wrong with the push safety it worked fine. The real problem with the safety was that GIs were pushing the magazine release in lieu of the safety and drop the mag. I think that the only part you need is the rotating safety. Anyone that has played around with carbines should have a few of the post war rotating safeties laying around, they are cheap!

Emmett