In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Curio and Relic Category

CJS10CJS10 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
On GunBroker is the C&R listing category only for sellers who will ship to a C&R licensee? Or is it a category for C&R guns even if the seller will not ship to a
C&R licensee?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't be very happy with a seller who listed a C&R but wouldn't ship to a licensee! [:(!]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong but I believe its for any gun that qualifies as a C&R. If the seller won't ship to a C&R that's another issue.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I wouldn't be very happy with a seller who listed a C&R but wouldn't ship to a licensee! [:(!]

It is not that uncommon.[:(]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huh? It makes no sense to list a C&R in the C&R category & not be willing to ship to a C&R licensee. The ONLY purpose of having a firearm qualify as a C&R is to be able to transfer directly to a C&R licensee without going through an FFL dealer.

There are a couple of good reasons why a seller may not want to transfer a C&R to a C&R licensee; if so, he should just list it with all other firearms.

After all, you wouldn't list a firearm made before 1899 (technically a non-gun) in the Antique category, & then say "I will only ship to an FFL dealer".

Neal

EDIT: GB management hasn't issued rules for everything. Some questions will probably never be codified; we just have to use common sense.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess my greatest frustration on GB are sellers who are clueless on what constitutes a C&R.
    I was interested in a 98 mauser over 100 years old and the seller was an FFL who when contacted said the gun was NOT C&R. FFL only.

2 of 3 rifles I was interested recently were in fact C&Rs, but does a buyer little good when sellers are unfamiliar with ATF p 5300.11. and will not sell to a C&R.
    Excuses vary from: They are getting audited every year and worried. "If you can buy ammo for it, it is not a &R".
    I also hear "The gun is not on the list"

On page 2 of CFR 5300.11 under the definition of What Are Curios or Relics item 1.) states: Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;

Here is what I know as fact. If the ATF had to list every C&R by make and model, they list would be huge and have to be reprinted every year. Especially since firearms are manufactured in almost every country in the world. Under the 50 year rule the list would change with time.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Purely my opinion?

A. Don't want to ship a bona fide C&R to a C&R FFL holder? Your call. I'll wish you well, take my money and shop elsewhere.

B. Do NOT list the gun as a C&R if you are not willing to treat it as a C&R. If you only want to ship to an 01 Dealer, fine- but do not waste my time. Put it in the regular gun listing.

C. You get inspected. That's nice. So do we. If you do not know the regs well enough to be comfortable selling a true C&R gun as such, it is likely you will have other problems on your inspection. Good luck with that.

I got my C&R in 1976 so that I do not have to pay a dealer for a transfer. Around here, that runs about $50. Which lowers the amount I would bid by a like amount if you insist on shipping to a dealer.

There have been a number of sellers I have emailed, and asked something like "That shotgun went out of production in 1906. I'd like to bid- will you accept a C&R FFL on that?" MOST make a polite reply. For the few that are less than polite- that was a close call! I almost wound up doing business with a jerk!
  • Options
    CJS10CJS10 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    But my question is: What are the GunBroker rules about listing a C&R in that category?
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Purely my opinion?

A. Don't want to ship a bona fide C&R to a C&R FFL holder? Your call. I'll wish you well, take my money and shop elsewhere.

B. Do NOT list the gun as a C&R if you are not willing to treat it as a C&R. If you only want to ship to an 01 Dealer, fine- but do not waste my time. Put it in the regular gun listing.

C. You get inspected. That's nice. So do we. If you do not know the regs well enough to be comfortable selling a true C&R gun as such, it is likely you will have other problems on your inspection. Good luck with that.

I got my C&R in 1976 so that I do not have to pay a dealer for a transfer. Around here, that runs about $50. Which lowers the amount I would bid by a like amount if you insist on shipping to a dealer.

There have been a number of sellers I have emailed, and asked something like "That shotgun went out of production in 1906. I'd like to bid- will you accept a C&R FFL on that?" MOST make a polite reply. For the few that are less than polite- that was a close call! I almost wound up doing business with a jerk!

Well said!!

For the OP, I did not mean to hijack your thread but unless things have changed, the templates under sellers tools tells sellers how to list firearms. Some dealers familiar with ATFP 5300 will categorize under C&R elligible, thus if you search C&R you will find it listed as such.
    Other dealers will just include in the general description "Will ship to C&R if ellible" Prehaps one of the mods will clarify.
    Either way, the problem with dealers not being familiar as what constitutes a C&R is not limited to GB, same problem on EVERY auction sight or guns for sale list.