In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Straight Pull Bolt Gun ID Assistance

The Old SaltThe Old Salt Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a straight pull bolt rifle I could use some assistance with ID. It has a detachable mag, ring on the back of the bolt that rotates like for a safety, barrel stamped CAL. 308 W.N., top of barrel behind the sight is stamped with a Swiss Cross, N, B, and a mark that looks like a backwards capital B backed up to a capital P if that makes any since. Reciever top also has that same stamping along with a Swiss Cross. L.H. side of barrel stamped with the number 2 and trailing that on the reciever is the serial #237***, matching Ser # on bolt but different on detachable mag. Bolt looks like a 1911 style.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like one of those Schmidt Rubin 1911s that a US importer converted to .308 before 7.5 Swiss got reasonably available here.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality close up photos, of receiver and markings.

Swiss straight pull rifles have been reworked for other calibers over the years. Being their cartridge is quite a bit larger diameter wise than the .308, it's not common. And could be dangerous if done incorrectly.

Instructions for posting photos.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    The Old SaltThe Old Salt Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the web sites. Have taken pics and will try to post up. Based upon what I have found so far, I believe it is a Schmidt Rubin Mod1896/11, because of the bolt, mag well, and trigger guard. It most likely had the barrel cut down and rechambered. post military service. Barrel has SIG "N" mark, proof marks on both barrel & receiver, Swiss cross mark on barrel & receiver & "B" on barrel for passing shooting test. The barrel has a very long "Freebore". Like you can push a 168 gr BTHP Matchking 1/2" completely out of the case when checking the Freebore. Question now is who did the conversion to 308. Sig because their marks are on the 308 barrel just behind the sight?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might be dating myself. But as I recall some of the very early S-R's models that were imported, were reworked/rechambered? for 30/30. Although yours is marked 308 my WAG that's just the bullet diameter, rather than the actual cartridge. IMHO the .308 Winchester would be a way to hot cartridge to fire in one of the early S-R models, that date to the 1880's.

EDIT #1

Got this photo off a Canadian web-site of one of the S-R's converted to a 30-30 sporter.

971485-500x333.jpg