In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

taurus model 82

SilentRageSilentRage Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
It is a 4'version. Satin finish. It is a 2013 model and heard they have been discontinued. Does anyone know of this and can give me some info? I have a chance to buy one cheap and want to know, if id be wasting my money. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it says TAURUS or ROSSI, on it, leave it where it is. I have seen two, go back in less than a month...brand new, NIB in the show case.

Best

EDIT 1

Fella's, don't get me wrong. Not everything TAURUS is bad. Some of the early ones made in the 80's were pretty decent. I have a model 85 of that era, that belonged to my late uncle. He was a sheriff deputy, and this was his off duty gun. Im not sure, if it was worked over, or it came that way, but it is every bit as reliable as the other big 4 made in the US.

One other one I have is a Model 62 22LR, pump carbine, in stainless. While not a Winchester, it has been very dependable, accurate, and has provided lots of fun for the family, and friends.

These days though, in the lite of being competitive, in the market, and introducing new models, they have flushed all QUALITY CONTROL down the toilet.

Best
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tauri are not produced by "model year". The only definitive (& significant) dating information is: does it, or does it not, have a BRAZTECH roll stamp?

But, if it's cheap enough, & you would never rely on it to save your life, go for it. But, my definition of a "cheap enough" Taurus is $100.

Neal

"Trust, but verify." ---- Ronald Reagan
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't buy it unless you can test fire it. When you run into these deals that are to good to be true, they usually turn out that way.

As the previous posters noted Taurus pistols have a pretty sketchy reputation. Years back due to a brain fade, I bought one of their sorry a*s Judges. It turned out to be one of the most useless POS handguns I ever owned, the only gun that was worse was the Sterling PPL.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SilentRage
    It is a 4'version. Satin finish. It is a 2013 model and heard they have been discontinued. Does anyone know of this and can give me some info? I have a chance to buy one cheap and want to know, if id be wasting my money. Thanks

Taurus revolvers are notorious for poor quality control.

If you get a good one, it will last and shoot fine, but even brand new ones from the factory can be plagued with all sorts of issues potentially making your bargain, not one. And that's really the issue here; every company will put out an occasional "dud", but with Taurus, the number is, apparently, noticeably high.

Personally, I wouldn't even look at one of these for more than $150, and even then only if I had the ability to test it out thoroughly then return it if it wasn't satisfactory.

If you want a fixed sight medium frame .38+P revolver, go find yourself a nice police/security surplus/trade in Smith and Wesson model 64. You can still find these for under $300 sometimes, and for what you get, namely a Stainless Steel made in America Smith and Wesson revolver, its a bargain.

Smith models 10 can still be had in good condition blued steel for under $250 (in some cases well under) and these will certainly do the job just fine.