In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

m1a bush/standard or loaded?

moses25moses25 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
hello all...i'm thinking of purchasing an m1 and just trying to figure out which model to buy, i was hoping you all could help. i like the shortened barrel length of the bush model but i don't think the length is worth sacrificing to much accuracy...how much are you really giving up for the shorter barrel. this rifle will mainly be used on the range and possibly for some hunting...i don't want to spend money i don't have to but from what i've been hearing and seeing it seems more worthwhile (and cost efficient) in the long run to just start of with the "loaded" model...any thoughts would be appreciated ...thanks

Comments

• Options
    E.WilliamsE.Williams Member Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More barrel length is for accuracy at extreme distance.I have a M1 Bush rifle and its accurate as I will ever need and its cheaper than a National Match.You will get more accuracy with the full length M1A's but I dont give up much with mine and none at under 250 yards.I also dont ever see myself making a 500+ yard shot if I did I would opt for the bigger barrel.But for what I have in mind my Bush is just fine.Even on the Bush you can improve accuracy with a bit of tweaking if you please too or need too.But a stock Bush is as accurate as I would think you would need.At firing range distance and hunting the Bush
    is fine.I have taken many Whitetails with mine as well as Boar.The farthest shot I took a Whitetail at was 175 yards but down here in Alabama they dont get much further so it works great.
    Eric S. Williams

Edited by - E.Williams on 07/26/2002 17:53:11

Edited by - E.Williams on 07/26/2002 17:55:34
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the loaded, and put NM sights on it. Get a douglas barrel... Keep that one for yourself.

Then order a standard mil-spec one with walnut stocks, and give it to me...

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the scout scope thing really appeals to you don't get the short rifle. I can't do as well shooting the forward mounted scopes after using over the action scopes for 40 years. SA has a special on their scope and mount for $125 when you buy a rifle ( I think that's what the ad said).

Mobuck
  • Options
    Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Lee. Buy more than you can afford now. You'll thank yourself later.

If you intend to keep the rifle forever, buy what makes you happiest. Flip a coin and, as it's falling, ask yourself which way you hope it will land. That's your answer.

Me, I'd buy the standard-length barrel w/o a second thought. I've had a mil-spec forever and it will always be the one I turn to first. The whole idea behind the M1A is being able to reach out and touch someone. A short barrel does a disservice to the fundamental nature of this particular rifle. But, that's just my opinion.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    moses25moses25 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you for your opinions...i think i am going to get the full length barrel...i do think that in the end the reason for purchasing such a firearm is to "reach out and touch someone" if the need be...how much difference is there then between the N.M. loaded and the standard...for someone who is not a sniper....how much difference are we talking?
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what distance you plan on hunting but IMO I'd go with the standard, which I did last January. Just like you I planned on using mine at the range and in the woods. For the mostly informal kind of shooting I do I don't need to punch holes in a dime at 600 yards. Not only that, but I don't like to take really pricey guns into the woods because of the abuse they're probably going to take. Then with the difference in $ between the NM and the standard you'll be able to afford more of those essential accessories, EXTRA MAGS. At $40 a piece, or there about, they're not cheap. Either model though, you'll be happy with your purchase!!