In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Model 220A 16 gauge, Help????

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hi: My step sons grandfather passed away 10 years ago and all his guns have been sitting in the closet all that time. My stepsons gramma gave him all of his guns a few months ago. We took the savage out to see how it shot and it went off prematurely, although I have properly trained the boy I thought maybe he had goofed up and I reprimanded him accordingly. The gun shot fine the rest of the day.
The following weekend he took it hunting with the neighbor and the gun went off when he loaded and closed the gun. My neighbor said that the boy was not anywhere near the trigger.
I took the gun to a gunsmith and he checked it all over, the only thing he could find wrong at all was that it was all gummed up from sitting in the closet all those years. He tore everything apart and cleaned it real well, and tried it several times and he said he had no problems with it.
Is it possible that this was all that was wrong with the shotgun, my stepson was very close to his grandpa and I would love for him to hunt some with this gun. I just don't know if I dare take a chance with the gun anymore or not. What is your opinion on this?
Booger

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Am amased that you negleted to Strip and Clean these weapons upon reciept....Am willing to bet the farm that the only thing wrong is/was the fact that after setting all this time they were GUMMED up and only needed to be Properly Cleaned before FIRING...Seems to me that an opologie is in order to a Fine Young Man who stood accused un-justly..A lesson was learned by all concerned...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Captain Kirk!!! For god sakes lighten up. I did clean the gun but did not dissasemble it completly. Im not a total idiot. I do not owe the boy an apology I was not accusing him of anything, he is a very responsible young man. I have over 20 guns and pistols in this house and they are cleaned regularly! I guess I have to apoligize to you that I do not have the time to completly disassemble all of my guns for inspection. Some of us do have a life!!!!!! Outside of this forum!!!!!!
    Booger