In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Identification in the Movie "Heat"

Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
My brother recently asked me to help him identify the rifle used by Al Pacino during the bank heist shootout in the movie "Heat." I've got the movie on DVD so I froze it on the rifle, but I can't identify it. It looks .223 (shape of the magazine) and sort of Swiss, but I can't say for sure. I know recguns.com has a movie site, but it's under reconstruction right now. Anyone know the answer to this one?

Comments

• Options
    E.WilliamsE.Williams Member Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it looked like a Cetme .308.I know Robert Deniro and Val Kilmer are shooting Bushmaster Shorty Carbines.It has gt to be some type of Fabrique Nationale rifle though.

Eric S. Williams

Edited by - E.Williams on 07/27/2002 16:36:19
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did some looking and it appears to be a FN-FAL DSA LE mini SA-58 or FN-FAL DSA-58 Medium Contour.They look identical.

Eric S. Williams

Edited by - E.Williams on 07/27/2002 17:05:15
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I remember, and I just rented the movie so I'll look again, All Pachino was shooting a Beretta AR-70, and Val Kilmer was shooting an M16 Commando.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought it might be an FN-FNC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is it:Valmet RK-95

Eric S. Williams
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the feedback, but I don't know that I'm home yet on this one. I can't find any FNs resembling Pacino's weapon. I looked at valmet-weapons.com but can't find a picture of an RK-95. All Valmets on the site, and all Valmets I've seen to date, are based on a clearly identifiable AK-type receiver. Pacino's weapon doesn't look AK-ish (a word I just made up). Can anyone point me to an on-line picture of an RK-95?

The rifle he uses is ventilated everywhere, which reminds me of something Swiss. Any more feedback out there?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the feedback, but I don't know that I'm home yet on this one. I can't find any FNs resembling Pacino's weapon. I looked at valmet-weapons.com but can't find a picture of an RK-95. All Valmets on the site, and all Valmets I've seen to date, are based on a clearly identifiable AK-type receiver. Pacino's weapon doesn't look AK-ish (a word I just made up). Can anyone point me to an on-line picture of an RK-95?

The rifle he uses is ventilated everywhere, which reminds me of something Swiss. Any more feedback out there?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    AZ9JAZ9J Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the most frequently asked questions on Rec.Guns and various Internet firearms forums concerns the ordnance used in the 1995 Michael Mann film, Heat, with particular interest in the weapon used by Al Pacino's "Vincent Hanna" to put "Michael Cheritto" (Tom Sizemore, who had a Galil) down after the Los Angeles bank takedown.

(There is some anecdotal evidence that the late Messrs. Larry Eugene Phillips, Jr. and Emil Matasereanu used Mann's Heat as a "training film" for their spectacular but abortive attempt at robbing the North Hollywood, California branch of Bank of America on 28 February 1997.)

It is a Fabrique Nationale FNC 80 in 5.56 X 45mm (.223 Remington). A related note from Sweden's Daniel Johanson adds:

Sweden adopted the FN-FNC 80 as the CGA5D, with the Swedish army designation being the AK 5 ("AK" for automatkarbin, or Automatic Carbine).
    In the deserted drive-in theater, "Chris Shiherlis" (Val Kilmer) had a Heckler & Koch 91 in 7.62mm (.308 Winchester).

• Options
    lokdok1lokdok1 Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice job AZ9J.

Bartman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The picture checks out at securityarms.com. AZ9J gets me home! Thanks to him and everyone else for weighing in.