In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help I.D. this mold please.....

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
If any of you have any information on Lyman mold #457661 I would very much appreciate it if you could share with me what caliber it is best used for, or suggested for. The seller doesnt even list a weight for it. It is up for auction and I am looking for a mold for my .458 win mag, but I can not find a ref. for this mold. The seller says he has a ref. for it in Lyman 46th reloading manual, but I do not have one of those, nor do I know anyone else with one. I can not find it listed anywhere in my manual from Lyman. Please email me with any info you may have on this mold, thank you, Ryan.
robsguns@hotmail.com

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Sarge.I have a Lyman manual 45th edition which is one older.I don't see that mold listed in it.They list a 385 gr. mold #457124 or a 482 gr. mold #457406 those are the only ones I find.Just found another #457191 is a 292 gr. mold.

ATF

Edited by - ATF on 07/26/2002 23:34:30

Edited by - ATF on 07/26/2002 23:37:04
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Ryan, no such mould in the 46th edition. In fact, I can't find that mould anywhere. Are you sure it's a Lyman mould?

AlleninAlaska

Free men are not equal and equal men are not free
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen,
    You have mail.
    This is the same mold I asked you about before, sorry, that the guy was selling, and all the sudden the auction was extended a week. He said through the auction email to my question that he had ref. to it in the 46th, but I dont think hes telling me the truth, either that or the # is wrong he printed, but that being the case he should have caught it when I asked him where he was able to reference it at, right? I'm pretty sure between me and ATF,(a board member), that there is no such puppy, and I know you have refs. for pretty much anything that should be available now or recently, so I'm trying to figure what gives here? They dont assign numbers to custom jobs do they? If they did, it wouldnt make it into a catalog either, right? I'm just curious enough to try to figure if this is legit, but really hopeing maybe I'm just misinformed and maybe this is a mold I can use.

Edited by - robsguns on 07/27/2002 00:40:13
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Ryan, I wonder if there is a typo? Lyman does make a #457671

It is a gas check design for the .458 Win Mag that throws a 475 gr. bullet. Try http://www.pachmayr.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Sgt.--You can go to the Lyman Products site; enter the site and hit their "contact us" button to ask about the mould. Shootist has it right, the mould he mentions is on Lyman's site as a presently available item.
    Good Luck from another Sgt. (OLD)
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ryan, I've not been able to find this number in my references, but this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have had Lyman & Ideal moulds with strange numbers which were custom jobs from the long ago days when Lyman actually tried to cater to the shooting public.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their advice, input, and overall help. Thank You! I've decided to pass on this mold, just not enough info. out there on it, loading data or anything. Thanks for everyone's help.