In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62X39 Magazines

gmccongmccon Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
Just took posession of a NIB preban Colt AR15 in 7.62X39. I've now tried 3 different kinds of magazines, all of which are difficult to load, as well as insert and pull out of the magazine well. I've got some jamming going on, too.

There must be a good source of magazines out there that function as smoothly as the very inexpensive Orilites do in the same gun in .223.
Anyone? I appreciate your help. I love the caliber, and it shoots straight. If I can solve the magazine problem, I've got a reall sweet shooter to be sure.

greg

be ready

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These were never popular for the very reasons you describe, Colt never (to the best of my knowledge) had a reliable mag for this model. If you compare the 7.62 mag to the 5.56 mag, there is no differece between the two (other than one is marked 7.62). I have seen some mags for the 7.62 model which looked like the top of an AR mag welded onto an AK mag and have heard they work well, I beleive they were made by USA Mags ... if this is true, its the only decent mag USA ever made!

The problem is the 7.62X39 cartridge has much more taper to it than the 5.56, thats why all the AK & SKS mags have the "bananna" shape to them and the AR mags are relitivly straight.

=================================
    The only bad thing about choosing a Kimber ...
    ... there are so darn many models to choose from!
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlike the 5.56mm AR's, the 7.62X39's were never anyone's standard military gun. Hence there were never any military surplus (read, reliable) magazines for the 7.62X39 guns. As mentioned on the "want ads" post, the guns popularity has always been limited by the lack of reliable magazines on the market.

Do you know what brands of magazine that you have tried? The ones with the AK body and the AR top seem to be the most reliable, but even they are far from perfect. That is due in part to the change of angle the mag has to do from the bottom to the top. Sometimes the follower has trounbles with the transition.

I have several different brands of magazine available for the AR in 7.62X39, but none that I would brag about. Unlike some of the other brands of gun, where there are known, always reliable choices, the AR's in 7.62X39, you buy some, try them, find out which one works in your gun and then go out and buy more of the same and hope they work too. There unfortunately there is no clear leader in that arena. LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    gmccongmccon Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, gentlemen, for your considered responses.

I got a half dozen 20rd USA mags from cheaperthandirt.com for $20 each which function okay. I just miss the effortless "snape" of an Orilite .223 into my other guns.

I can load 7.62 ammo into the .223 Orilite mag. 8 rounds fits nicey into a 30 round .223 clip and seems to function okay. But that's not what we're after, of course.

It's a terrific gun and outstanding round, ballistically. Real straight shooter. I guess I'll just resign myself to the magazine fact of life.

Thanks very much, greg

be ready
  • Options
    vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a couple of the hybrid AR/AK mags if you're interesred.

LRH270@aol.com

Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy