In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What to do w/ 2 triggers and case colors,LC Smith

BoyWonderBoyWonder Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have finally, after 6 months of searching, bought an L.C. Smith SxS. It's a fairly late model (Marlin). Having never had a gun with 2 triggers or case coloring I have questions about both. First, how should I care for the case coloring? Is it alright to use CLP break free to clean and preserve it? Or should I use plain oil. Secondly, how do you shoot 2 triggers? Slide one finger between both, or use a finger on each for quick double shots? Thanks in advance for advice...

Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master. -Demosthenes

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello WonderBoy

Welcome to the world of the SXS!!!!

I rather shoot old SXS Damascus barreled shotguns with black-powder (or generally black-powder substitute such as CleanShot) shotshells. By the time I manage to acquire them --- any case coloring is generally long gone. I have a friend/hunting buddy that is older than I am --- yeah!! --- I know that there aren't many --- but one or two people are older than I am----he uses a Brownell product called "Accura-Coat" to preserve the case coloring on his side-locks after they were thoroughly cleaned to remove all traces of oil.

As for the triggers --- unless you want to fire both barrels at the same time --- do NOT put two fingers on the triggers. The front trigger controls the right barrel, which is generally the more OPEN choked barrel and the rear trigger controls the left barrel, which is generally the more constricted choke. The double triggers allows you instant barrel/choke selection. If your L.C. Smith is choked improved cylinder and modified and the quail get up under your bird dog's nose and you are three feet behind the dog's tail then your trigger finger goes on the front trigger and you wait until they are at a point you won't tear them to pieces and just before they dart behind a pine tree or palmetto thicket before firing. If they jump the point and get up 35 yards in front of you, then your trigger finger goes to the back trigger and you take the one closest to you before they are out of range completely.

Be safe and enjoy your L. C. Smith.

I know that 'nord' and 'laxcoach' will probably join you soon and they can give you much better advice about your L. C. Smith than I can. They own and use them, I don't. I have to settle for the 'cheap chips'.

Best Regards To You And Yours

You must forgive me --- but as an old geeser I sometimes forget things. You normally load the right barrel with the smaller shot and the left barrel with the larger shot. For example, here in the South
    (proper noun you know) #9's go in the right barrel and #7-1/2 go in the left barrel for quail. In the dove field, #8's go in the right barrel and #6's go in the left barrel.

Edited by - AdamsQuailHunter on 07/28/2002 02:00:13
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    AQH gives me far too much credit, but I do love Elcee's.

As to your question about case hardened finishes... This finish only affects the top few microns of the metal. Thus, it's subject to the wear of your hands, polishing, or any other abrasive function that might take place. Oils, solvents, or any other gun-related chemicals should have no real bearing on the finish. Keep a good coat of high grade oil on the frame and you'll be happy. And since a Marlin gun will always be considered a "shooter" compared to the Hunter guns, why get all that concerned? A bit of wear for the pleasure returned is a pretty good deal!

Here in the north we don't tend to load with different shot sizes. Rabbit and grouse inhabit the same range and a shot of over 70' is a long one. Usually a load of something between 7's and 9's will do the job. Pheasants are often in more open country and we'll load with 4's or 6's, but the smaller shot will take care of business in the thick stuff at short range.

Triggers are a natural as you become used to the gun. Two fingers will be a learning experience that you won't repeat. There'll be a lot of noise, the second finger will have been trapped in back of the first and between the triggers, and there's the matter of recoil. Your ears will suffer, your shoulder will complain, and your second digit will be smart enough never to put itself into such a situation again. As I said, a natural!

In a short time your brain will adjust to the situation. A near target will evoke a pull on the front trigger for a more open pattern and the finger will drift back to the rear trigger for a possible second shot. Targets further out will find your finger bypassing the front and pulling the rear... And the beauty of the double is that by the time your target is that far out, a second shot would be stupid anyway!

Side by side's are a true gentleman's gun. They have a class and bearing all their own that no pump or auto can match. My personal Elcee's are retired by my choice. I substituted a very regal Ruger Red Label 20ga as my shooter.

But the Elcee's... They'll always be special because I found my first one laying rusted in a field when I was a young lad. My hands restored that old gun to shooting condition and she gave me years of pleasure. In return I promised her a trip to the best custom shop available when I could afford it. She sits in a place of honor today. She's beautiful again and she makes me smile every time I pass.

And who says that restoration destroys the value of a gun? She's more beautiful and priceless each day that passes!

Shoot well. Enjoy your gun. It's among the finest ever produced at any price.

Nord