In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military brass crimp

jaymjaym Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for a tool to remove the primer crimp on some military brass. First of all, what the heck is this thing called? Secondly, where can I find it at a decent price? If it makes a difference, I'm looking at doing about 3000 rounds of .45 and 9mm.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TOMBECKTOMBECK Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PUNCH IN "SWAGER" - GB HAS A DILLON LISTED - THE BEST BUT
    NOT CHEAP. DIDN'T SEE ANY RCBS SWAGERS LISTED (ABOUT $10-$20) BUT THEY WORK WELL. YOU WILL NEED BOTH LARGE AND SMALL PRIMER SWAGERS WHICH USUALLY WILL COME WITH ANY COMPLETE UNIT. SUGGEST YOU DON'T REAM OR DRILL OUT THE SWAGE RING AS IT IS EASY TO OVER DO AND RESULT IN POOR PRIMER FIT. RCBS BEST IN AN "O" TYPE PRESS AS A FAIR AMOUNT OF FORCE IS REQUIRED. INSPECT FLASH HOLE WHEN COMPLETE (ALONG WITH NORMAL CASE INSPECTION).
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    PRIMER POCKET REAMER...Any Good Store that handles reloading equipment will have one.........Last one I purchased was about 20 years ago..don't recall what it cost..Have seen them for sale at gunshows...but, again not needing one...I did'nt look to see how much the person wanted for it..I wish you well....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Edited by - captkirk3@earthlink.net on 07/27/2002 13:30:09
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    This may be the 1st time I've disagreed with Capt. Kirk but I would advise againse a reamer and go with a swager. Reamers remove some brass and, if nothing else, will result in loose primer pockets sooner than if the brass was swaged. BTW, the Dillon unit on the auction is titled as a reamer but the unit pictured and described is a swager. Both RCBS and Dillon make decent swagers but for a quantity of 3000, I would go with the Dillon - much easier to use and quicker - but more expensive.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a complete rcbs swager set at a gunshow for $18 a couple of years ago but I think the recent upsurge in reloading military cases has dried up the supply.

Mobuck
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway sells an RCBS primer pocket swager combo unit for under $22.

If you don't care where you are going, you can't get lost.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used the Dillon. I own the RCBS and I really think it is a PITA to use. I received some of the Lyman primer pocket reamers as part of a large lot of stuff I bought. Tried them & haven't used the swager since. At least twice as fast as the RCBS swage and I've not noticed any statistical difference in brass life.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the primer pocket reamers from the Lyman case care set
    in a battery powered drill on slow speed in de crimping Mil crimps
    in .45, 9mm,.308, and 30-06 and never had any sloppy primer fit or
    any signs of it. Yes, care must be taken but it saves time and
    a sore hand . Also, it doesn't leave a ring of brass in the pocket
    that must be picked out, which some swedgers do. My RCBS swedger
    just sits on the shelf now gathering dust.
  • Options
    hotrodusahotrodusa Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi everyone, Heres my two cents worth. I have a rcbs swager and dont like it at all. Prehaps the dillon works smoother and easer to use, I Have not tried the dillon but from what others are saying its better. I dont think to much of useing a reamer either, Ive had primers fall out in the cycleing of an automatic and makes a mess when this happens, gun powder all over. I would never use ammo for personal protection that had the primer pocket reamed. Theres lots of commercial brass out there now available, So why not use commercial brass instead.

Shoot safe !!!
    Robert