In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Converting Glock 17 mags to Glock 22 mags

Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a Glock 17 with several High Cap Mags and would like to get a Glock 22 but I don't want to send a small fortune on High Cap Mags for it. I don't want to use any of the cheap non-Glock mags.

I was wondering if it is possible or advisable to convert Glock 17 mags to work in a Glock 22. I know that the 17 mags will fit in a 22. However, I have some question/concerns about it. I would like to hear what you all think.

1. Due I need to change the follower?

2. Due I need to change the base plate?

3. Due I need to change the spring?

4. Is this considered making a "High Cap Mag"? I would be using an existing pre-ban high cap.

5. I understand that the holes on the back will not line up with the rounds. This is not that big of a deal to me.

6. How would the legal system look at what I have done in the event that I need to use the gun & a converted mag for self-defense?

Feel free to tell me if this is one of the stupidest ideas that you ever heard of or if it will work and save some money.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

Comments

• Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I can only answer part of your question.

The current opinion of the ATF is that as long as the magazine you convert will continue to function in the firearm it was intended for, an alteration is not considered manufacturing a high capacity magazine. If it will work in additional firearms after the modification, that's fine, as long as the modification will not prevent it from working in the firearm it was originally intended for.

For the other specifics, I'm not sure.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it will work. As far as I know, and I could be easily wrong, is that the feedlips for the 9mm are smaller than that of the .40. So basically the mag tube will have to be replaced. But I'm not sure.

Anyway, you may look into trading someone even or maybe with a little case for 22 mags.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im certain it would not work as you cant reshape the Mag lips on the mag.It would not be reliable at all,I dont think it would even feed.Also the ammo of the .40 cal would not stagger correctly in a 9mm magazine.

Best!!

Rugster
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I forgot about the feedlips needing a different shape. I'm going to check with someone that has a 22 and check the difference in the feedlips. I agree with both of you however that it won't work. This is not something that I would want to wonder if it was going to feed the next round each time I squeeze the trigger. Guess this means if I want the bigger bullet I either stay with 10 rounds, or bite the bullet and pay the high dollar for high caps. Or, I just need to become a cop and get to buy lots of cool stuff at cheap prices and get free ammo.

Thanks for you help.

I rush in where others flee.