In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sighting in a 308 Savage

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
Mounted a scope on my Savage 308 and took it out to the range. Since I don't have a boresighter, I started at 25 yards. I fired a few rounds and moved the group to dead center. Once it was right on at 25 yards, I moved to 100 yards. My shots were hitting about 12" above point of aim. I made the scope adjustments and had the rifle shooting dead center at 100 yards. This is the maximum distance one can shoot at this facility. My question is, if I want to be right on at 200 yards, where I should group at 100 yards? A few inches high? Is there some kind of formula that I can use to see where my rifle will hit at different distances?
Thanks for any info anyone could provide!

Chris8161
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!

Comments

• Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reads as though you would like to do this on your own. Great to learn.

There are formulas, but for ease, and speed for the moment, go to the ammo makers web site, one of their manuals, or a ballistics chart.
    Find the load your shooting, and follow their specs.

You must use the same bullet shape, and weight.

Remember their tests are under ideal lab conditions you can't duplicate. Your close enough for hunting.

Your rifle will be shooting at slower muzzle velocity then theirs, so you'll be hitting a little lower, but don't worry about that at first. Rough rule of thumb on non magnums, for every inch of barrel less that what the specs show subtract 50 fps. So if they used a 24" barrel, and yours is probably 22" your average fps is only 100 fps lower.
    The difference is minor for hunting out to 200 yds.

Are you familiar with the term Maximum Point Blank Range? If you see it in their info, learn it. You will hunt with the confidence of knowing that following that rule, you can place clean lethal shots.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns & Glass,gave you a great answer.

ATF
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, using the Rem 150gr PsP and figguring a actual muzzle velocity of 2700 (factory spec is 2820) assuming a 1.5" scope height and a 6" target diameter, 2.8" high at 100 yd will put you 3" high at 125yd and 3" low at 256yd (in other words hold in the middle of a deer at anything less than 250 yards).
    Using the Rem 180 sp at 2500 (factory spec is 2620) 2.925" hi at 100yd = +3 @ 113yd, -3 @ 231yd
    Give me the factory load your using and your actual (chronographed) velocity etc. and I'll run the real numbers for you.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,976 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With most calibers today a rough rule of thumb is about 2.5" high at a hundred yards. That will give you a point blank range of 175 to 200 yards. Guns and Glass gave you the proper way, but if you are pushed, this will get you in the game in a hurry.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to to some research on maximum point blank range. As always, you guys have been very helpful.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually sight in an inch and a half high at 100 yards.I have several calibers I hunt deer with and one is a 308.When I miss,I did something wrong,not the rifle.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Tailgunners practice for my .308 works well for me.Everyone has given you a good answer.

Best!!

Rugster