In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Comparing .303 SAVAGE vs .300 SAVAGE

ibearibear Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
WHO KNOWS? ANY OLD TIMERS OUT THERE?

Hello, I can find litle information about these two calibers. Comparing .303 SAVAGE vs .300 SAVAGE. They seem similar as far as I can tell. Can you help me? I have found ammunition through OLD SCROUNGERS. They manufacture ammunition for the .303 Savage. Which one kicks the most? Which is the better deer round? Whcih has better ballistics? How close to each other are they? Do they produce a variety of ammunition for the .300 Savage? Is ammunition still available today for the .300 Savage? I am told that Savage no longer makes the .300 Savage rifle. That seems like a great loss. I am really guessing, but I think I need more information. Where can I get it? Can you help?
Thanks,

WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Comments

• Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    The .303 Savage is dead!
    Only interest in it is with collectors with old Savage 99s.
    The .300 is still a good deer cartridge, still alive and chambered in a lot of rifles being used today. Just a little under .308 W. in power. Recoil is no problem for either round. Ammo for .300 is easy to find, goes for $11 or $12 per box. Easy to reload too if you shoot a lot.
    It's a good round for beginning hunters, ladies and guys who don't like heavy recoil.
  • Options
    bullelkbullelk Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ibear,
    First, Welcome to GB.
    Here is a comparison, 303,Sav 180gr. MV 1890fps ME 1507 lbs

300 Sav 180gr MV 2350 ME 2207

308Win 180gr MV2620 ME 2743
    As you can see, the 300 is far superior, and it is a hell of a good deer & bear cartridge. Not quite as good as the 308, but still good.
    The 300 Sav ammo should be around for a long time to come also. If you really like that caliber, you can find a good Savage 99 for around $400.00.

"If All Else Fails, Read The Directions"
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The 303 Savage falls in just under the 30-30. It is of very similar design but with a longer neck. Most sources for re-loading recommend using 30-30 charges reduced by 10% for the 303. Most 303 ammo available now is collector stuff and brings $35+ per box. Bullet selection in the 303 was minimal with only 3 or 4 bullet sizes and shapes available.