In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need gunsmith openions, New cal. WSM&Rem Short Mag

hotrodusahotrodusa Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I would like to make a new custom rifle using a remington 700 receiver. I want to use either the new 270 WSM winchester short magnum or if Remington would come out with there version, 270 Rem short action magnun. (NO) Im not sure there gonna make this happen, Im just hopeing, If any one knows if they intend to make this a reality please share your info.

My question is: Do I use a Short or long action for this caliber ?

I looked at one of my remington short action receivers and there really is not much room to spare for load custom bullets that stick out farther then the factory rounds such as a long heavy bullet or for throat erosion.
Any comments from you gunsmiths would be great.

Shoot safe, And shoot often !!!
Robert

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    IF YOU ARE SET ON USING THE REM. ACTION YOU HAVE TO GO WITH THE REM. S.M. THE WIN. S.M IS LONGER THAN THE REM. ACTION WILL HANDLE WITHOUT SEATING THE BULLETS DEEPER THAT NORMAL. PERSNALY I WOULD GO WITH A WIN. CLASSIC ACTION AND THE WIN. S.M. JUST FOR THE CLAW EXTRACTOR.