In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on barrel maker

LeonLeon Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a unused 26 inch barrel, in the white, ss and chambered for 308. Barrel has no markings. Seller stated that the barrel was made for Winchester by Dunlap (not sure of spelling)and that this company was contracted to make military barrels. What would be the estimated value of this barrel?

Help
hogslayer@awesomenet.net

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most any stainless barrel which is made by a well known maker, will run about $250-$300. That is before the final chambering, headspacing, crowning, etc that the gunsmith will do before putting it together with the action. Most good stainless barrels, installed, (full floated)I find to be about $450-$500. If your barrel manufacturer has a good reputation, you could expect to sell it for $175-$250 dollars, depending on who wanted it.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever heard of the barrel maker I mentioned Dunlap and do you have any information or other sites I can research. I had no luck.
    Thank you
  • Options
    davem3davem3 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roy Dunlap is a well known gunsmith and author of books on gunsmithing. He has built many fine custom rifles but I'm not sure he ever made custom barrels. Try a search using that name.

davem3
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just for comparison, you can search ( hart, shillen, lilja, pac-nor ) barrels.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.