In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Lightning problems

lawmannlawmann Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt 1877 Lightning that works great in double action mode, but will not stay cocked in single action. Anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly a problem with hammer notches. You do not say whether half-cock works. If it works but full cock doesn't work, the problem is most likely the hammer full cock notch. If none of the hammer cock positions work it may be with the sear. My recollection from last time I had one apart, the Lightning Colt has a sear that operates like a little rocker located down in the works. It sort of pivots on a pin and has a little spring that pushes it into contact with the hammer notches. The sear and/or the spring could be damaged, stuck or missing. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely the sear spring on the 1877. These are available for about $12. Single and double action on this gun involves independent mechanisms which don't have any effect on each other.