In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WHAT IS FORWARD ASSIST ON AR-15?

treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
what is it and what does it do? would a ar-15 with forward assist be more desireable?

thanks,
todd

Comments

• Options
    snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the forward assist on the ar 15 is there to help you chamber those rounds that try to jam as most of the round is in the chamber.
    it gives just a 16th of an inch push or so every time you push the button
    it is needed because the bolt and bolt carrier are inclosed

SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I understand, the forward assist was added do to the problems they had with the earlier M16's in vetnam, and rounds not chambering completely in a dirty or wet chamber. So when the bolt doesn't close all the way, it give you a little push to help get it there.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have seen some newer production AR type rifles, I think Carbono-15 is one of them, that don't have forward assists. I've never used the one on any of my AR's yet, so I figure, for non-military use, you really don't need one. I don't see any difference in desireability between the two, but I'd prefer to have one on mine, just to know its there if I ever need it.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is it possible to add it to a colt at a later date and if so what is the cost??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Simple replacement of the upper reciever... Just buy a new upper from brownells or bushmaster or somewhere, and have a gunsmith pull off all your stuff and put it on the new upper. Your looking at a matter of may a couple hundred bucks total. Might be a good opertunity to have some feed ramp cuts made.