In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Problems w/ Springfield Armory scopes?

Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I've owned an SA 1st gen for a long time, mounted to a standard M1A. The combo has shot beautifully for years, w/o a hitch. One of my friends brought a girlfriend to the range once, and she knocked my setup over, while mounted in a sighting vise (the rifle, not her), without any damage or need for rezero. (He married her anyway, the dumb bassard.) In short, I love the scope.

Today, I heard tell that rumors of problems w/ SA scopes abound. Please share anything you've got.

Edited by - Rifleman.308 on 07/27/2002 23:23:39

Comments

• Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suggest you do a Search on the topic in the archives. try to go back a year if it lets you.
    Try both Topic-Subject, & Message.
    Don't shoot the messengers.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Alot of members here will tell you they are no good. I got rid of mine and put a Leupold on my PSS. I guess I am with them on those scopes. For about the same money you can get a Burris Black Diamond if you check out the above postin member, Guns-n-Glass.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Will270win@nraonline.com

Edited by - will270win on 07/28/2002 13:02:42
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own two, been kinda afraid to shoot'em since I've been reading the posts on here. I bought them before anyone had posted feedback on them, so I had no idea, and fell for all the bells and whistles. Being a little concerned about my investment, I contacted Springfield Armory, and a rep assured me that if I had any problems they were covered by a lifetime warranty and they would fix it for free. He then told me that for a while there they were subcontracting to another company to make components for their scopes and they had alot of problems with them, so they switched to another.

So far I haven't had any problems with mine, and am actually looking into maybe getting another for my .223.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Lee on this one I have one of their scopes and I love it.It has a Unconditional lifetime waranty.

Good luck!!

Rugster
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe me when I say that the few of you that have not had problems,I am genuinely glad for you. No one reasonable person wants to buy or sell a product that gives problems.

However, many shooters/retailers can't say that about their scopes.
    Those that had shot alot, especially at 400 + yards know the problems with those scopes. They do not track consistently, nor if using the range finder(the scope maker stole the idea from Shepherd) it doesn't resolve clearly enough. You won't find any record holders, or champion LR shooters using them.

The same company that made them before (used to make Shepherd) still makes them.

Take care of the good ones you got.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SA scopes are not durable,reticles fall out,lenses fall out,they leak.
    Try using the adjustments to make a 12" square at 200 yds and see where you wind up.
    cpermd
  • Options
    Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the replies. Given my good luck in the past, I'll continue to shoot mine until it falls apart or I hit what I'm shooting at. The good thing about the M1A is that, even if my scope falls off, I still have a better than average chance of hitting my target at distance.

Thanks again. I'll report back if anything comes up.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 4-14X56 2nd Generation (cammed for 308) thats been sent in for repair 4 times and a 4-14X40 (cammed for 223) thats been great, bought both at the same time and have shot the 4-14X40 at least ten times more than the 4-14X56.

I know several guys at the range that have 4-14X56's all different generations, only one guy has never had a problem with his ... I think they are a crap shoot as to what you get, definately not worth the risk of reccomending one to a friend.

=================================
    The only bad thing about choosing a Kimber ...
    ... there are so darn many models to choose from!
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.