In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need gunsmith advice RE: feeding 95 maus.

mastershooter357mastershooter357 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a 95 spanish carbine that I rebarreled to 762x39. Works fine but cant get it to feed the shorter shells from mag to barrel. Can I modify the mag or the rails to get it to feed?

mastershooter357

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A .308x1.5" THAT I BUILT ON A 1903/A3. I PUT A PIN IN THE FOLLOWER TO HOLD THE SHELLS TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE MAGAZINE (YOU JUST HAVE TO HOLD THE FIRST ROUND, THE REST WILL STAY ON THIER OWN). AN OTHER OPTION IS ONE I'VE SEEN ON 8MM MAUSERS CONVERTED TO .308 NATO THAT INVOLVES SOLDERING A BLOCK INTO THE FRONT OF THE MAGAZINE WELL AND FORMING A NEW FEED RAMP.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1916 .308 mauser came with a shortened follower and a metal block in the front of the magazine well. Sometimes these will feed the 7.62x39 as is. I have also made a filler from wood whittled to fit and cut at the top to feed the rounds fairly well. There are some of the 1916 trigger guards in the used parts bins at gunshows occasionally.

Mobuck
  • Options
    mastershooter357mastershooter357 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks alot guys. I think I can do this.Ya'll have been great.

mastershooter357
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have such a conversion done by Century Arms several years ago on a '93 Mauser. It involves reducing the length of the magazine by welding a piece of rectangular shaped channel steel into the rear of the magazine box. The face of the channel steel becomes an effective rear of the magazine, but about 1 1/2 inches farther forward than it was. They then used a shortened plastic follower and a shortened spring similar to the original which is secured to the follower with a rivit. I believe that a person could shorten the original steel follower and perhaps use a coil spring to power it, but it would take some experimentation to get it right. The advantage of their system is that the rounds are forward in the magazine at the correct height and no alteration is necessary to the feed ramp. All of the excess bolt travel for the shorter cartridge is behind the new magazine. I made a drawing of this system, and if you'd like a copy by U.S. Mail send your mailing address to ccnorth@teleport.com.