In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25-06Ackley Imp VS 25-284

groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I want yall's opinions before I chamber this barrel. I'm going to use a 700LA to build it regardless. I figure the LA will allow the proper seating depth for the 284 version and the AI version is a given. Who has experience with these 2? I think the 25-06 is still one of the most amazing chamberings ever devised but just want to play a little. And it just might be that I chamber it back to 25-06Rem. Your ideas are appreciated! GHD

Comments

• Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    If you go with the 25-284, I don't think you will be able to rechamber to 25-06 at a later date unless you have a very long barrel shank. The 284 case is bigger from the web area all the way to the shoulder than the 25-06 case. That's why the 284 is a rebated rim. I would go with the 25-06 Ack. Imp.

AlleninAlaska

Free men are not equal and equal men are not free

Edited by - aglore on 07/28/2002 01:45:50
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, I didn't mean I'd chamber that barrel in 25-284 and then try to rechamber to 25-06. I meant that I might chamber it originally to 25-06 instead of the other 2 choices. I just haven't made up my mind as to what I'm going to try next. I bet one of the next guns I try is a 260Remington BDL with a 24" barrel. If lucky will do that tomorrow. GHD
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $$$ savings, and desirability are on the 25-06 Improved.
    Cases are cheaper, and easier to get.
    If you ever wanted to do another project ,the 26-06 Imp. rifle or barrel alone would be easier to trade/sell.
    Performance is close enough so no real benefit.
    Have fun.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guns and Glass, Do you have any experience with the 25-06AI? I'm leaning toward doing it that way. Selling the rifle later or rechambering is not a concern. I'm just going to build one long range top-notch varmint gun and the results will negate the cost. I already have the barrel, action and the stock will be probably one of the Brown 1pounders. It's not going to be a 17lb bust your butt to get it to the bench, ultra heavy varminter. It will be a 26" barreled, carry all day and if he's out there 800 yards, lay down, flip the bi-pod out, dial up the scope and airmail his invitation home gun!! Also would like to find some loading charts for this little beast. Thanks, GHD
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ackley himself wasn't keen on the 25-06 Ackley Imp. He was more supportive of the 257 Roberts Ackley version. See his comments in
    his Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Charlie I'll see what loading data I have around here. Could just start with max charges for the regular 25-06 and work up.

AlleninAlaska

Free men are not equal and equal men are not free
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had couple 25-06's, 6x284's, 6-06, and 6.5-06. All real good performers. The 25-06 was the one I used the most for some of the reasons earlier stated.

My experience is very limited on the reloading as one of my best friends is a reloader fanatic. I give him the components he wants to try, and he goes to work. I will see what he can supply for you.
    I think that with some of today's improved barrels, bullets, and powders the cartridge can be a real winner for that in between round.

A friend of mine Dave #~*+ was given a Ruger M77 to take a sheep hunt with George Clucky in Alaska. Of all calibers they sent him a 25-06.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD, I have two ackley chambered rifles. Love em, love em, love em. * whippin performance from a standard, non-belted case. Go with the Ackley chambering.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own the 25.06, 257 Roberts,and the 257 Roberts Ackley Imp.I have shot and reloaded extensively for all three. The 25.06 is overbore to start with and becomes moreso with the Ackley improvement.
    The 257 Ack. is the optimum case size for the .25 bore (ask Sierra)
    It will out peform the 25.06 in velocity with less powder.
    To get a rifle in this caliber you take a 257 Roberts and have a gunsmith recut the chamber for the Ackley Imp. or you can chamber a new bbl. You fireform the brass by firing a regular 257 Roberts cartridge in it. This is one of the most versatile chamberings around. You can go from the mildest 257 Roberts load with very little noise and recoil all the way to heavy loads that beat the 25.06. I would take it over any in the .25 cal.
    DSC
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD: If you go with the 257 Ack. have the gunsmith cut the throat of the chamber longer than normal.
    This lets you seat the bullets on out and especiaaly helps with the 120 grain longer bullets.
    DSC