In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RUGER 357 MAXIMUM BARREL QUESTION

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I recently got a barrel for a Ruger 357 Maximum revolver.The rifling goes almost to the end of the rear of the barrel.There is only about a 1/8 inch that is not rifled.There appears to be no forcing cone except that 1/8 inch.Is this normal?This is the factory 10-1/2 inch bull barrel.Bore appears in excellent cond.Front sight looks like the one used on the bull barrel 22 autos and is held on by a screw.Looks like the one in Wilsons book Ruger and his guns on page 185.--HELP--
Dr.Evil

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to know if the seeming lack of a forcing cone is normal? Yes, that's the way it was made; it is not a defect. This is such a hot, high pressure handgun cartridge that you will want to periodically closely inspect the area on the bottom of the topstrap between the face of the cylinder and rear of the barrel for flame cutting. Most manufacturers have discontinued revolvers in this caliber for that reason. Everytime you fire it it is like briefly touching that area with an oxy-acetylene torch. The cartridge is better used in a single shot design.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DG thanks for the reply.I knew about the flame cutting,but not the lack of any forcing cone. What i have is just the barrel.I can see no erosion of the forcing cone area.Barrel appears to be in excellent cond.One person on another site said he use to ream the forcing cone area and got rid of the flame cutting problem on customers guns.Dr.Evil