In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best home bluing system?

E.WilliamsE.Williams Member Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I need to re-finish a pistol A.S.A.P I need a good system readily availabe at sporting goods stores.What works good and is there any other finish I can put on it that will hold up better than bluing?The humidity here is regularly 95-100% and its killing the finish.Its my fathers back up gun and I gave him a cigar box to keep it in to slow the rust down but he left it out a couple of nights and the rust is taking over.I need something now.Whats a good cheap system?

Eric S. Williams

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    BLUE WONDER is the best. www.novumsolutions.com

I just finished a 1903 springfield, looks new.

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E.Williams,

Review the current posts talking about Blue Wonder. Sounds like it's the answer as all respondents that have used Blue Wonder are amazed with the results they are achieving. If it's not available in your area you can order from http://www.midwayusa.com.

I have not used yet as it's a new product, but definitely have placed my order.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze

Edited by - airborne on 07/30/2002 17:28:11
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    After reading the posts on Blue Wonder, I refinished a Colt 1911 Series 80 complete. I mean I removed all of the blue and refinished the complete gun. Fantastic! Follow the instructions, and you'll have a class 1 job.

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • kgnovumkgnovum Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E.Williams - If you decide to use our product, you probably want to get a "matte" finish on the Kel-Tec. If so, there are a couple of ways to do it, but the directions for this are not shown on the package. Check our website www.novumsolutions.com as we have full detailed instructions listed there. Or, feel free to e-mail me or call me and I can go over the process with you.

Also, before you go to re-bluing the gun, try using the Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner and "0000" steel wool to remove the surface rust. It will not harm the bluing and if it has not rusted "through" the bluing yet, this might be all you need and it will save you some money. Just be sure to oil the gun well after you are done and use an oil that has good protective (anti-corrosive) properties. I'd recommend Breakfree CLP - that's what we use on our blued guns.

Regards, Ken Gibbs
    e-mail - kgibbs@novumsolutions.com
    Phone: 832-204-0866 (office - daytime)
  • theissentheissen Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't want to use a blue you can get a teflon spray from brownells you bake on.It is tough and you wont have to worry about rust.
    www.brownells.com