In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

changeing thread size? thread adaptor-adaptor?

cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
Trying to get a 1/2 x32 threaded gizmo on a 1/2 x20 threaded pipe...

Is there such a device that can screw on to a 1/2 x20 threaded pipe/barrel/stick which is threaded 1/2 x32 on the other end, effectively changeing the 1/2x20 to a 1/2x32 threaded end?

Should I be looking in Home Depot? (only half-kidding)

thanks,
C-

Comments

• BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    First thought that a helicoil would do this, but I don't think you will find one in 1/2 x 32. Now I think you have two options.
    First would be to find a good gunsmith or machinist. On the stud you want to turn in, have it machined undersize and have a sleeve silver soldered on and then thread the sleeve to 1/2 x 32. The other option would be to take the hole you want to thread into and make it over
    size and thread it for a helicoil of a common thread pitch with an inside pitch of the one you have. Either one is going to be a little
    bit of work, but can be done.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a problem! First you don't have a 1/2-20 threaded pipe. I assume you meen a 1/-20 threaded tube or rod. There is a big difference. The type of adapter you need will probably have to be custom made. In aluminum, this wouldn't be terribly expensive unless you are talking about the end of a barrel. Then concentricity is a real (more expensive) issue. If you would like to talk about it more, e-mail me.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try D.A.Q., RR1, Box56B,Goodson, Mo 65659
    He makes these precision threaded adaptors.
    Hopefully he's still in business.