In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.270 win load...need info

krd214krd214 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
There are a ton of bullet types out there and I am looking for the best (naturally) for whitetail anywhere from 50yds to 150yds. If anyone would like to share their experiences and advice for this caliber (style,weight,manufact...) I would be greatful.

Comments

• Options
    pigeoncreek1pigeoncreek1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My .270 likes the 130gr moly coated Barnes X bullet, It puts 3 shots in about 3/4" and works very well on whitetail.

Gun control is hitting your target
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Pigeon Creek 130gr bullets seem to suit the .270 all the way around.You may want to try a few different brands to see which one your gun likes best.

Good Luck!!!

Rugster
  • Options
    TOMBECKTOMBECK Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SIERRA 130 GR. GAME KING - ACCURATE AND DEADLY
    ONLY FOLLOW-UP SHOT WAS A VERY POOR HIND QTR HIT.
    REST NEVER MOVED MORE THAN 5 YARDS. GOOD EXPANSION
    WITH NO MAJOR MEAT DAMAGE
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the board.

For a factory load I like the Remington 130 gn. Core-Lokt.
    The most accurate in my .270 is my reload using 130 gn.
    Nosler Partition, with H4831 powder. It is more expensive, and does a good bit of meat damage (the Partition bullet) but I don't have to go looking for my deer.

Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now, I can buy more ammo.
  • Options
    gunsismegunsisme Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with all those suggesting 130 bullets! I usually group under 1" at 100 yards,5 shot group, but I also have a target weight barrel,from a rest with my reloads using 130 grain sierra bullets and 59.5 grains of dupont IMR4831! Jack O'Conner (I don'think that spelled right)always liked the lighter bullets in the .270 and I think he was right. My 2 cents worth!
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll agree on the 130 grain bullet for the 270 thats what my win mod70 really likes, this rifle will shoot 1/2moa or less when i have a good day.
    it shoots very very good with just the cheap gray box federals in 130 grain.
    I havent reloaded for it for several years now dont remember what hand load it liked never wrote it down :-(
    doc

I dont give my guns without somebody getting hurt!
  • Options
    krd214krd214 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. Can I get some suggestions for the bullet type. I do not reload. What does everyone think of ballistic tips at these ranges or the scirroco or any others??? I just noticed that this topic has been brought up recently (used the search). It looks like the Ballistic tip is popular!

Edited by - krd214 on 07/31/2002 15:56:38
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The balistic tip is great. I use it for mule deer and elk. If you shoot them in the head or neck you dont need to worry about meat damage or them getting away. They drop in their tracks. I have used them at 50 to 400 yards with no problem.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    mkr12162mkr12162 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the .270 for the past 12 years, and used the Nosler Ballistic 130 gr. with great results. Remington offers them in their Premier line. Also I am going to try the 130 Gr. Swift Sirroco this year , about the same bullet but the Swift has a bonded core and should be a little better. Remington also offers this fine bullet too.
  • Options
    hotrodusahotrodusa Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like a 130 grain bullet for the 270 win., And Sierra PSP BT is a favorite, With Barnes X-BT bullet being second. Both are very efective.

Bullet placement Is punching a hole, What fun !!!
    Robert
  • Options
    hotrodusahotrodusa Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like a 130 grain bullet for the 270 win., And Sierra PSP BT is a favorite, With Barnes X-BT bullet being second. Both are very efective.

Bullet placement Is punching a hole, What fun !!!
    Robert
  • Options
    coyote-mancoyote-man Member Posts: 78
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I would have to go against the grain here, 130 gr. Bal. tip at 3000 fps could cost you a lost animal. You ask why! These things do exactly what they are suppose to do-Expand rapidly.
    The first deer that I took with them was at 145 yards, shot was behind the shoulder, deer went about 10 yards and stopped. Well this was all so great until I skinned him, I measured the entrance hole and it was 3". Now I thought weeelll, lets look at the exit hole, huumm, no hole, complete bullet blow-up on entrance.
    A friend of mine that works the local gunshop here (14 years) and does a tremendous amount hunting in different states, stopped using them after is first Whitetail. One shot at 75 yards hit the front shoulder and completly and I mean completly, removed it from the body. That was with the 270.

I know a lot of hunters around here and no body will use the Bal-tips and its not that the bullet is not good its just every one wants a little tougher bullet.

My son uses a 150 Bt in his '06 and they work great at 2900fps.

Iam now using the Moly 130 "x" and they are great for Elk.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We offer the Nosler Ballistic Silvertip in our 130gr .270's, with the long-range hunter in mind. We call it our 'South Texas Sendero' load. Excellent performer at 200 yds and further. NOT the best choice for 100 yds or closer - sort of like detonating an explosive charge... The Barnes X-BT or the Nosler Partition 130gr would be viable choices.

We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson.Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sierra 130 gr BTSP; everything from antelope at 390 yards to elk at 20 yards for 25 years and not a single failure. Very accurate bullet as well.

Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy