In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 bullet weights

DodieDodie Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have 2 AR 15's 1 is a 20" 1 in 12 twist barrel and the other is a 16" with a 1 in 9 twist. Anyone know what gr bullet will perform best out of these up to 250-300 yards? thanks

Comments

• Options
    hotrodusahotrodusa Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is my 2 cents worth !!!
    For the 20" 1-12 barrel try light bullets in the 40-52 grain should work good.
    For the 16" 1-9 barrel try 55-62 grain. for hunting I like a good quality bullet such as sierra 55 grain PSP BT. For target shooting I like a heaver bullet such as a 62 grain bullet.

The fun is about to begin !!!
    Good luck
    Robert
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1/12 stay under 60 usually.
    1/9 will shoot just about anything well.
    cpermd
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    The faster the twist, the better to stabilize heavy bullets over longer distances. Lighter - or more poorly manufactured bullets - can & will disintegrate at the faster twist rates, because of the centrifugal forces developed. Whether the entire mass - or any fraction left flying - hits your intended target is less likely, as will the intended result: many (or no) holes, where you only wanted one.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the 55 gr bullet should serve all your needs well.

Best!!

Rugster
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We load a 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip for the 1:10 and slower guns, and offer loadings up to an 80gr Berger VLD for the 1:9 and faster guns.

We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson.Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my experiance, a good all around bullet for both guns is the Sierra 55 grain Gameking FMJBT w/cannalour (sp?) I used these for years until I moved up to a fast twist (1 in 7 and 1 in 8) on all my AR's (now all I shoot is 69's, 77's and 80's in my AR's) but I still load the 55's for my 22-250.

======================================================
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a 1:9 I couldn't get any 50 or 55 grain bullets under about 1.5-2.0".

Went to 69 gr Sierra BTHPs and instantly got sub MOA; I expect they'll work as well as Sierra 55 BTHPs do on coyotes and javelina.

A side bonus is that it also groups 60 gr Nosler partitions sub MOA and at the same point of impact at 100 yards, thereby making it a deer gun as well (stir, stir).

Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    quote:
    A side bonus is that it also groups 60 gr Nosler partitions sub MOA and at the same point of impact at 100 yards, thereby making it a deer gun as well

Yes, but beware that in some states the .22 caliber isn't legal for deer.