In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cap n' Ball Revolver....

Hunter4lifeHunter4life Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hey all,

Ive always wanted a black powder pistol, sooo...

I bought a Piette model 1858 New Army Revolver
from Cabelas...just had to do it !!! Now i
have questions...Its a .44 and shoots a.451 dia
lead ball, powerd by a 30 gr Pyrodex pellet..
Anyone know the approx muzzle velocity and
energy? Does Piette manufacture a reputable
product? or is it crap? Do cheap replicas go
up in value? This is my first step into a new
hoby, ANY information at all would be
appreciated.
thanks.........

Comments

• Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the DIRTIEST shooting sport there is. It is a great sport and LOTS of good people. Never tried the pyrodex pellets but 30 gr. of BP is a pretty stout load, should give about 1050 to 1100 FPS!!! Don't forget to seal the cylinder with either grease on top (I use Crisco) or with a lubricated wad. I have 3 of Cabella's 1858 Remingtons and shoot them all the time. Good product for the money. I will be shooting them in a match next week - a re-creation of the Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pietta makes a pretty good gun. Not the most expensive replica, but far from junk. I don't think you will see much appreciation on this gun, maybe some depreciation. But, they are beautiful and a lot of fun.

"Not as deep as a well, or as wide as a church door, but it is enough."
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Now you need to buy the replacement cylinder so you can shoot 45 Colt in it.

AlleninAlaska

Free men are not equal and equal men are not free
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started using Bore Butter as a sealant in all my BP revolvers and found that I could shoot longer between "gum-ups". A little more $ than Crisco but it worked for me
  • Options
    edited November -1
    AGLORE: Tell me about the replacement cylinder for shooting the .45 Colt. Is this used in the replica of the Colt or the Remington?

• Options
    edited November -1
    Taylor's $ Company make a replacement cylinder for these replica percussion guns that will fire 45 Colt cartridges. they will only handle the low powered factory loads. I know they make one for the 1858 Remington. Don't know if they have a website or not or if they make them for other 44 blackpowder guns.

AlleninAlaska

• Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.taylorsfirearms.com

There ya go. Website for the replacement cylinders.

AlleninAlaska

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Aglore, the info I get on these forums is amazing.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Oops, the damn cylinder costs more than the gun. Still, thanks for the info. Very interesting.

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the advise about greasing the front of the loaded chambers to prevent "circle fire" is good (and correct), however one thing that was missed is to cap every loaded chamber also. Yes, you can get "circle fire" from the flashover at the nipple end also. Trust me you don't want to experance having 2-6 chambers fire with one trigger pull.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Hunter4life

The Captain is going to see that this topic has 10 or more responses and have Scotty beam a lock on it. I am going to try to sneak this one in under the wire before he does.

One -- welcome to the world of black powder!!!!!

Two -- the information given to you about sealing the cylinders using lubricated wads over the powder or "Crisco" or "Bore Butter" is accurate. Where I am in Florida, they tend to melt out because we still have very HOT days during muzzle-loading season. I have used Kendall Super Blu High Temp grease with some success, but have mostly gone to lubricated wads over the powder.

Three -- your instructions may not tell you but DON'T let the hammer rest on a live cap. There are "safety" notches between the nipples. Let the hammer rest in one of the "safety" notches between the nipples and not on a live cap.

Be Safe And Enjoy Black Powder Firearms:

Best Regards To You And Yours