In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester M-12 20 Ga Skeet serial # DOM assist

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
this should be easy for 'only winchesters' but anyone else may help out! #191970X. what year was it made? has a simmons rib as marked on the side of rib w/PM to the side. marked WS-1, not skeet. a quick stab says 1957. am i close? thanks![:D]
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good morning bob. That gun was made in late 1961. winchester marked the choke on the 12,16,20 ga. guns with WS-1 or WS-2. Some 28ga guns have the WS-1, I believe the later ones were just marked Skeet. Like the Md 42 was marked Skeet, but the Md 21 was marked with the WS-1 and WS-2 Post 64 Md 12's were marked Skeet. hope this helps Bob.
    Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks partner. i assume you saw my wanted ad in wanted section? you already have a list, but just thought youd want to know![:)] im still looking for you!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your welcome Bob. Just curious as to the style of post the rib has? Are they round cylinders, or round with a base, commonly refered to as the donut post? Curious because they stopped using Simmons in 58 or 59. If it has the oval post rib by simmons this may have been a special order gun since it has the off-set proof mark. What length is the barrel, a standard 26 or 28 or one of rarer lenght's like 26&3/4 or 27 & 1/4. Again just curious. Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looks like it was a added rib from the the simmons factory. i was lead to believe that simmons was not allowed to advertise on their ribs as long as they were putting them on for winchester. thus, it must be a simmons rib from the simmons factory? bbl is 26". the bigger oval posts and the rib has the classic drift pins on the side holding it in.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bob: Any rib that Simmons put on for Winchester, did not have their name on the side of the Rib. Simmons used really tiny pins in the rib, one next to the receiver extension on that post. I know of guns that fell and damaged the rib, (meaning a big dent between posts) people would send it to Simmons just to replace the rib, after Winchester stopped working on pre-64s. The last style rib that Winchest put on looked real simalar to the Simmons rib, the one after the 3 pin post near the magazine band. Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this one has the full address on the edge of the rib. "simmons gun specialties inc, kansas city. the straight line rib surface matches the gun exactly and youd cant even see where the rib meets the receiver.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.