In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W serial # question

gynae@aol.comgynae@aol.com Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
Just got in a model 13-3 with a 3" barrel. Serial # is BBB19xx. I was told by another customer in my store that the BBB means a special run of guns made for a certain buyer. Anyone can verify this? Any ideas on which group ordered the guns? Bruce

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bruce, Your model 13-3 was made in early 88' and should have a non-recessed cylinder and non-pinned barrel.

The BBB in the ser number, I believe, is just part of the serial number progression, and not indicative of a special order.

The only special order of this model, according to the S&W catalog, was the PC-13 with 400 guns going to Lew Horton. These guns had ported barrels, bobbed hammers and were double action only.

There was also an order for the Thailand police of model 13-4's.

"Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Starting in 1980 S&W moved to a 3 letter 4 digit s/n scheme and the transition was finished in 1983. This system is the one that is in use today.

The standard catalog does not give a specific month/year for the start of BBB but it appears the "A" series ended in Jan. of 1988 and the "BBF" started in Jul. of 1988 so one could assume that "BBB" fell in between. However, that is not wholly true as blocks of numbers have been reserved and with other skipping around this system does not run in true alpha-numberic order. So the only way you will know for sure is to contact S&W and get a factory letter, which will set you back $30 .....although I understand that there is now such a thing as a "short letter" that is free, but I've no first hand experience/knowledge of them.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!