In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bad Gun or Bad Ammo?

CrawdogCrawdog Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
I took my new Taurus Tracker Ti (total titanium) 41 Magnum to the range with both PMC and Federal Premium ammo. The fired PMC cartidges not only would not eject from the cylinder with the ejector rod, they needed excessive effort to be pulled out (the ejector would push them out no farther than 1/4 inch). In fact, a number of them needed to have a rod inserted into the cartridge and pushed out from the front. The fired Federal Premiums weren't as tight, but still there was no way they could be ejected with the ejector rod. Do I have a cylinder hole diameter problem that needs to be rectified by Taurus, or is there some other explaination. Or is PMC just inferior ammo? And if so, what is the reason for the Federal Premiums not ejecting? I have numerous other revolvers, and know there is some tightness after firing, but this is unacceptable. Please give you views on the cause and cure for this. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a gun problem to me. Taurus has a wonderful warranty though. I'd send it back explaining what you did here.

Any man can shoot a gun, and with practice he can draw fast and shoot accurately, but that makes no difference. What counts is how you stand up when somebody is shooting back at you.
    To die for what one believes is all very well for those so inclined, but it has always seemed to me the most vain of solutions. There is no cause worth dying for that is not better served by living. L'Amour
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need polishing of the chambers, a little more taper in the chambers or you have bulged chambers. Either way, it's a factory service problem.
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll throw in a strong suggestion to go back through your dealer and get Taurus to correct the problem. My 41mag digests any brand I stuff in it.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same problem with two different brands of ammo says it's most likely a gun problem.

You have received several good suggestions here regarding Taurus' warranty. If it were me, I would try to get my dealer to replace the gun, if he would. If he told me to go through Taurus and exercise the warranty, I would begin with a telephone call to their customer service people. I'm sure they will tell you to send it in, but I would ask them to send me a shipping label--to get them to cover shipping costs.

My humble 2.5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S