In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for information

gerardgerard Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired from my 80 year old uncle an "original" octagon barrel Winchester lever action rifle. The markings on the top of the barrel read "Winchester's repeating arms New Haven, CT__" the rest of the letters or numbers are unreadable. It is also dated October 16, 1860 it may also have 1866 on it, other words/numbers are also unreadable. It has a 24' barrel, flip site, mostly brass except for the barrel, lever, hammer and the trigger.

My uncle got this gun at the age of 11, while playing hide-and-seek in a bamboo patch in Hawaii, it was found wrapped in a burlap bag.

I would just like to find out more information about this rifle, and is curious of what its value might be. Thankyou

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased an M1 carbine from a local sporting goods store. I was wondering how I would go about finding out the history of this gun. It appears to be vintage as there is a lot of wear that is evident, but the serial number stamped into the butt stock matches the one on the action. It also has some numbers painted on the stock and an "item number" kind of metal plate screwed into the buttstock. On the box it came in it says "Inland Division M1 carbines 30 cal s/a"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To anyone,
    I have a V. Bernardelli 20 gauge SxS and can't seem to find any information on this exact gun. Some close but not the same.

It has the following markings, V. Bernardelli / S. Uberto 1 / Gardone VT (located on bottom in front of trigger guard) On the barrels, V. Bernardelli / L.L. Bean-Freeport-Maine (on left barrel), Gardone V.T. Made in Italy (on right barrel)

Under the barrel receiver portion are the following, An Oval with a duck inside and under that the letters VBG. Also the following, 207166 (serial number), on the locking block, C.20, also Vincenzo Bernardelli-Gardone V.T.

Under the barrels (on the barrels themselves) are the following, Right barrel, CLM / KG1.130 / 15.9; Left barrel, + + + / RAM.76 / 15.9

Receiver is brown/blued and the barrels blued. It has intricate engraving everywhere receiver, barrels, trigger guard, forearm, etc.. Has a straight stock with a silver badge inlaid on bottom near butt plate

This gun has a single trigger and has ejectors. Right barrel fires first then the left barrel. You can't select which barrel fires first.

Any information you can supply would be greatly appreciated. Don't have any photos but can take some if necessary.

Thanks, Oletrapper
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a small .25 auto, made by Bauer Firearm Corp. I bought it as a
    CCW for the EXwife. It is actully in great shape. Can anyone tell me some info on the weapon. I have looked for the company on the web, with no luck.

"single by deceit,parent by choice"
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello gerard...

Based on your description, you have a Winchester Model 1866 Rifle. It is chambered for the .44 Henry rimfire cartridge. Production of this model began in the spring of 1867, and it was in production until 1898 with approximateyl 170,101 made. Your rifle can be dated by the serial number. Depending upon when your Rifle was made, the serial number may be hidden under the buttstock on the left hand side of the upper tang (to circa serial number 20000), or on the outside of the lower tang under the lever (20000 - 125000), and finally, it was stamped on the lower tang near the far end.

All original and complete Model 1866s are worth at least several thousand $$$$, and in better conditions, can easily hit five figures. The actual graded condition will determine the value.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

To receive the best possible info. pictures are really needed to supplement text descriptions of the markings found on a gun. Close ups, if possible, of any markings or unusual features also help.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the Ask the Experts and the gunbroker.com Family...Bert has given You Good information....and theres a bunch of us that would like to see a photo or two....its not everyday that a 66 Pops up...The History You provided will also increase the Value to some collectors if it can be corroberated..and then the Fact thats it was Found in Hawaii will definately add to the value....If I were You....I'd be getting a healthy Insurance policy on this gun......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff