In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rate of twist

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
i have a remington 722 made in feb of 1958. how do i tell if it is a 1 in 9 or a 1 in 12 rate of twist. it is my understanding that they changed to a 1 in 9 around the time this gun was made

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a ruger m/77 mark II .22-250 with a blued barrel and the older stlye synthetic stock aka "skeleton". My question is what is the rate of twist for that gun or where could i go to find this information.
    thanks Ryan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wondering what exactly does rate of twist mean. I know there 1 in 7 and 1 in 9. Does that mean one complete rotation for every 7 or nine inches?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know what the rate of twist is on a Savage 110 in .243?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could someone let me know the rate of twist on a Ruger # 1 in 22-250 with a 26 inch bbl. Thanks
  • Options
    riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lay the gun on the floor with the butt up against a wall. Put a piece of paper Newspaper or what-ever under the gun in front of the muzzle.Start a cleaning rod into the bore with a tight patch or brush. Put a small piece of tape on the cleaning rod up near the handle. Put a "tick" mark on the tape with a pencil or marker and another tick mark on the paper under the cleaning rod. Carefully run the cleaning rod into the bore until the tick mark makes one complete revolution. Put another tick mark on the paper on the floor. Measure the distance between the two tick marks on the paper. That is your twist rate. The more careful you are the more accurate your results will be.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Provided the barrel has not been replaced...Ruger 22-250's all have 1:14" RH twist..

quote:Originally posted by boltaction
    Could someone let me know the rate of twist on a Ruger # 1 in 22-250 with a 26 inch bbl. Thanks
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member