In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping question.

garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
I know you all have answered this a thousand times but I am just making sure.

An individual can ship a rifle to a FFL holder thru USPS (Post office). Am I correct?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You ARE correct.

Neal
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is correct, but expect to be refused by the the PO clerks until you show them their own regs to prove it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me ask you this,

They always ask if there is anything perishable, liquid, fragile, or hazardous in a package. The answer is no. Do I have to even bother with telling them that I am shipping a rifle?

The reason I am asking is that I have to ship one to Alaska. I just figured it would be cheaper than UPS going up there.

Thanks again for the help.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You only need to notify a "common or contract carrier" that your package contains a firearm, not USPS. (See ATF P5300.4, page 178, Section B7).

When you mail your package, the postal clerk will only ask you the "Four questions" - Is it liquid, is it fragile, etc. You must truthfully answer "no" to all of them, & that's it.

Of course, you want to insure the package. The USPS recommends that you send it by registered mail.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your help.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning garanch: I've been using the USPS exclusively for over 5 years now without one incident. But there are certain things I do do to "help" the firearm get through the system.

True a firearm isn't "FRAGILE" like a glass object. However if dropped, thrown, run over with a fork-lift or truck, yes it could break. I get the little RED STAMP and stamp fragile on the box about a dozen times!! Doesn't cost any extra!!

I also ship it Priority Mail. usually on monday or tuesday, that way it's where it needs to be before the week-end. Sometime the "week-end" help is not as cautious as the full time help, just my opinion.

Also th USPS charges $1.60 for the first $100 of insurance. and .90 cent for every $100 over that. On a rifle that's worth $750, it's the same cost for $750 or $800 worth of insurance, so get your .90 cents worth!

Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you sir.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding INSURANCE and REGISTERED.

My USPS works fine, I generally send REGISTERED, and at times RETURN RECEIPT.

Last week I had the need to bump up the insurance. The clerk, who I recognize, says "If you are going INSURED, you can drop the REGISTERED because the INSURED has a tracking number that will do you just as much good."

Regardless, somehow, sometime, you WILL have SHIPPING/MAIL problems with any carrier...the only difference is what is required to straighten it out. For me, USPS has been consistent...right down to the B.O. that always permeates the entire building.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gotstolefrom
    Regarding INSURANCE and REGISTERED.

My USPS works fine, I generally send REGISTERED, and at times RETURN RECEIPT.

Last week I had the need to bump up the insurance. The clerk, who I recognize, says "If you are going INSURED, you can drop the REGISTERED because the INSURED has a tracking number that will do you just as much good."

Regardless, somehow, sometime, you WILL have SHIPPING/MAIL problems with any carrier...the only difference is what is required to straighten it out. For me, USPS has been consistent...right down to the B.O. that always permeates the entire building.

In terms of having a tracking number, the clerk is correct. Priority insured is also much faster and much less expensive than "Registered Mail". However, registered mail is far, far more secure, and similarly less likely to be damaged than "Insured Mail".
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update:
    Sent rifle USPS Priority,Delivery Confirmation,Insured box was oversized of course. 56"x10"x8" 12 lbs. Sent from Texas to Alaska.
    $33.70 total. 5.00 of that was ins. and del. conf..
    No problems with the deal at all. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you insure it but don't register it, they don't ask what is in it.

If you register it they do ask what is in it on the form you fill out; that's when the postal clerk usually flips.

Ergo I don't register it, just insure and have delivery and sig. confirmation.