In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington 7400 30.06

clydes3030clydes3030 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
Can I do anything to get more accuracy out of my rifle? I'm shooting winchester 180 grain Super X Power Points. At 100 yards it's about a 3 inch to 3 1/2 inch spread shooting off sand bags. Is this the best I can expect? Can you actually get 1 to 1 1/2 inch out of these rifles, or would it cost more than buying a new bolt action? Thanks, John.

Comments

• Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honestly, I have a model 7400 that I bought newin 1988 and it will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day long. It is as accurate as any bolt action I own. The problem is, unless you bought it new and know the history, it could have been overheated, improperly cleaned or just shot so much the groups are opening up. Letting the barrel cool between shots will preserve barrel life and so many people will smoke a semi auto barrel by getting it too hot to touch. It could be the rings or even the scope. These rifles are capable of excellent accuracy. I would try different brands of ammo and check the mounts to be sure they are tight. Good luck [8D]
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try shooting a 150 or 165 gr bullet.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My will average 1"with most loads it really likes 150 grain fedral loads with seirra game kings
  • Options
    clydes3030clydes3030 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'll try different loads and ammo.quote:Originally posted by clydes3030
    Can I do anything to get more accuracy out of my rifle? I'm shooting winchester 180 grain Super X Power Points. At 100 yards it's about a 3 inch to 3 1/2 inch spread shooting off sand bags. Is this the best I can expect? Can you actually get 1 to 1 1/2 inch out of these rifles, or would it cost more than buying a new bolt action? Thanks, John.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to be the History of the Rifle some shoot dead on and some don't people either love them or hate them who knows.
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    make sure the barrel is tight(no movement) if there is any at all get the barrel nut tightened and locktight it.