In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

national ordiance 1903a3

david1085david1085 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
looking at a national ordiance 1903a3. any thing i should be looking out for? are they ok to shoot. ser no. in the 5mil range. owner says it is a good shooter. it looks good. anywhere to find information on production dates, care, etc. anyone have one that they shoot? thanks dave

Comments

• Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    National Ordnance 03A3's were parts guns made by using surplus US parts on a National Ordnance actions. I have heard that the receivers were cast, not forged, but I'm not certain about that. These are shooters, not collectors, and have no military or historical significance. I have not heard of any of the receivers failing but I would be careful to use standard loads only and inspect the receiver good for cracks. I would place the value of one at $200-$250. Ask to have it checked by a gunsmith before buying if you can.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can they be used in a vintage rifle match??
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would depend on the rules of the match. The rifle itself was made most likely in the 1960's. Some matches may allow replicas of vintage rifles. If that is the case it would be OK. Bottom line is to carefully read the rules of the match you are entering.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what about the cmp sponsered matches? anywhere to find out just when it was made?
  • Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by david1085
    what about the cmp sponsered matches? anywhere to find out just when it was made?

It shouldn't matter for a CMP match as long as it's firing a military caliber. My sons have used a Mini-14 in CMP matches when they were younger. You'll probably be OK in an Old Military match because someone would have to get awfully technical to give you a hard time about a few years on an old rifle rebuilt on a newer reciever.

If you buy it, keep close tabs on your headspace. There've been stories about those National Ordinance recievers stretching and the headspace increasing. Have no idea if they're true but sold the one I had for that and other reasons. Didn't like the one I had.